Will.i.am unveils the Puls, a sensor-packed wearable for your wrist

Shawn Knight

Staff member

wearable call text phone will.I.am I.am puls wrist wearable strap cuff

The Black Eyes Peas co-founder will.I.am has unveiled a new device called the Puls (pronounced Pulse) through his wearables company, I.am+. The debut product is something the musician / tech enthusiast has been talking about for quite some time – a voice-controlled wristband / cuff that can make voice calls without needing to link to your smartphone (much like the Samsung Gear S).

First and foremost, the standalone wearable isn’t a smartwatch (although it performs many of the same functions as one). It’s capable of playing music, displaying GPS-based maps, sending and receiving texts and e-mails, tracking fitness and even keeping up with social networking services like Facebook and Twitter.

The device features 1GB of RAM and 16GB of onboard storage and, according to Engadget, is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor running an Android-based OS. It’s packed with technology including Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS, a pedometer, accelerometer and the aforementioned 3G radio. Most commands are carried out using voice control through a Siri-like personal virtual assistant.

The Puls is the second product to debut through will.I.am’s company, the first being the ill-fated foto.sosho which was an iPhone camera case.

The wearable is expected to launch through AT&T in the US and O2 in the United Kingdom at some point. It’ll be available in black, white, pink and blue color schemes in addition to versions built of solid gold and gold with diamonds. No word yet on pricing but it'll be in AT&T stores for the holidays, we're told.

Permalink to story.

I wonder what the battery life of this thing is?

It seems to be an Android phone as a watch... Except with the phone part taken off.

I wonder what the battery life of this thing is?

It seems to be an Android phone as a watch... Except with the phone part taken off.

I dont know I think it it a phone watch

" a voice-controlled wristband / cuff that can make voice calls without needing to link to your smartphone "

I dont know I think it it a phone watch

" a voice-controlled wristband / cuff that can make voice calls without needing to link to your smartphone "
I didn't read that :/ I lost interest at Will...

Anyway surely you'd need like a headset in or something to actually make calls?

Whatsup? Not directing this comment at you directly Will, but perhaps considering a financial planner would be a great idea... With the market being SATURATED with smart watches, being that they are smart and not an archaic phone slapped to your wrist being serviced by AT&T... I guess you don't want them to have actual service either. Find a deserving charity to donate to. I'm beside myself and wondering if this is all a joke?

Saturated?? Since when??? This is truly news...

I didn't like the idea either, but calling them archaic phones... it might have been if they throwed in Symbian systems, but they'll be using Android systems which make them very modern capable devices.

Get your facts straight before vomiting your thoughts to the keyboard.

I think this looks good, and that you guys who don't get it are wrong. but what do I know? Probably nothing. I mean I guess there's a market for smart watched that are paired to a smart phone. I don't know why in the world anyone with a smart phone, that can do practically anything, would want another gadget that basically just replicates what their phone does, but on their arm, on a tiny screen, and only when close to your phone.... retarded. but a phone type device on my arm that actually replaces my phone and watch, that sound good to me, but since that makes sense and the world has it's head up it's ***, it'll probably flop.
the other day a good friend commented on how smart phones are more powerful than the computers used to send man to the moon. I said "sure", I mean didn't we cross that line ages and ages ago... but later I thought I should have replied, yes, they do, but in modern times we don't do stuff like that with of tech. instead we show the world photos of what we are about to eat." that's having your priorities in order.
perhaps the only thing to save this device would be some special feature to allow for great food photos!

Back