Will my old specs bottleneck a new graphics card?

I would greatly appreciate some expert advice regarding this issue from anyone who's highly knowledgeable on the subject. The latest games being released seem to stagger my current graphics card and build (GTA iv, BFBC2, CoDMW2, at lowest settings!). Ive been wanting to purchase a new graphics card but I feel hesitant when terms like "bottlenecking" ring in the back of my mind. Im not sure if my current hardware specs would greatly or just mildly hinder the full potential of a newly purchased graphics card so Im asking around for advice on the subject. My thanks in advance...

My specs are:
AMD Athlon 64X2 5200+ 2.7GHz
8Gb DDR2 (800) RAM @ 400MHz over 4 dimms
Veloci Raptor 10k rpm Seriel ATA HD (i know this part wont be a prob)
800 ish Power supply. I know thats important but ill deal with it if the need arises.but ill deal with that if the need arises.

you would be okay running the likes of a HD 6850 or a GTX 460. what resolution are you playing at? what card are you using right now?

the vast majority of games are very dependent on the graphics subsystem, GTA IV is very CPU dependent though.

My mobo is a M3N78-VM (AM2 940 socket) w DDR2 (800) RAM type and a built in GeForce 8200 that i dont use, as Ive added a Radeon HD 4870 w 1024 mb graphics card. My power supply, as said earlier is something like 800 watts but im not sure, it could be 850.

well The 4870 is a good card for up to 1680 x 1050 with detail on high for moat games.

Back