Will this computer ever handle HL:Source games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 (yeah i know its terrible)

Around 1.2GB of RAM
Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz
Windows XP
I only have PCI slots

My video card is some integrated bullshit and I was going to buy a Sapphire 100114 LB Radeon 9250 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI v

and I'm wondering if my computer would be able to run games from the Half Life 2 Series(ie:Counter Strike:Source, DoD, TF2 etc). If you know of a better video card then link it here.

Can you tell us your video card first? I used to run CSS/HL2 on a similar computer, I didnt have too many problems. But my processor was a bit faster, less ram tho.

Im pretty sure there might be demos, if not check if you have an nvidia card, if you do you can download halflife deathmatch for free, portal, and halflife lost coast. That will basically tell you how well you can run em.

Yes, the 9250 will run them all, since the Source engine will default to using DX8 shaders with that card, providing pretty smooth performance IMO.

Rage, I had several issues with my 9250 and CSS, but a 6200 ran it fabulously. I wonder why? Maybe because its a 64bit?

I think it's more to do with the fact that the 6200 has a better architecture and is also a DX9 card as opposed to the 9250, which is a DX8 card.

Aaaah, that is very true. In fact, the 6200 runs it on EVERYTHING on top on high, with AF on 4x, but everything else on lowest at like 35-60fps, which is actually very smooth.

Update:Radeon 2400 Pro Runs all source games at max resolution at 40-60 fps

Im guessing this is the best card for PCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back