Wilson unveils "airless" 3D-printed basketball that nearly meets NBA regulation

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Forward-looking: Sports gear company Wilson has reinvented the basketball. It recently created a high-tech prototype that needs no air to bounce. The so-called "Airless Prototype" is the first basketball innovation since Butler University's head basketball coach, Tony Hinkle, got Spalding to start making easy-to-see orange basketballs in 1957.

Sports gear company Wilson has reinvented the basketball. It recently created a high-tech prototype that needs no air to bounce. The so-called "Airless Prototype" is the first basketball innovation since Butler University's head basketball coach, Tony Hinkle, got Spalding to start making easy-to-see orange basketballs in 1957.

For almost 40 years, Spalding provided the National Basketball Association with regulation basketballs. In 2021, that contract ended, and the NBA signed a multi-year deal with Wilson to provide official NBA balls.

Whether it was at the behest of the NBA is unclear, but Wilson's R&D department immediately began work on developing a new type of basketball. What it came up with is a hollow honeycomb-like sphere that doesn't need inflating. While the ball has seams similar to a regulation basketball, the panels are dotted with holes.

Wilson designed the Airless Prototype on a CAD system and then translated that into a 3D-printer file. The ball needed very specific types of polymers to give it the right bounce, so it gave the file to an industrial 3D-printing outfit called EOS which usually contracts with the aerospace, automotive, and medical device industries. The company specializes in a process called additive 3D printing. This technique allows for much finer detail (above).

"Additive manufacturing was the right choice for the Airless Prototype because … it's literally the only technology on Earth that could bring this concept to life," said EOS Business Development Director John Walker.

Unlike traditional 3D printers that stack a substance layer by layer, EOS printers lay down a dusting of powered resin and fuse it at the design points with a laser. The final processing consisted of sealing the powder, dying the white ball black, and etching the NBA and Wilson logos to its surface.

Wilson sent the Airless Prototype to its NBA test facility, which put it through "rigorous testing" to ensure its performance. The end product has nearly the same weight, size, and bounce as a properly inflated (7.5-8.5 psi) regulation NBA ball. The proof of concept then made its debut during the 2023 NBA All-Star Game's slam dunk contest introduced by Houston Rockets power forward KJ Martin (above).

Wilson's vice president of innovation, Bob Thurman, said Wilson and the NBA have no immediate plans to change current regulations to allow the use of the new ball. For now, the Airless Prototype is a one-of-a-kind that may or may not see a consumer-level release.

"This is only a dot on the development path, but we're really excited about the first step that we have here," Thurman said. "This is what we call 'The One.' You know, basically, this is like, let's make one and let people enjoy it — and understand where we need to move forward in the future."

Permalink to story.

We 3d print cars yet this is newsworthy. its a sphere. this is like the gaming mice of basketballs with all those holes.

But why?

My god the amount of R&D to not have to use a pump?

So now all Wilson products rise in price to cover these R&D costs….

Well... This video is all marketing fluff about 3D printing, yeah we know that, and there's even another video that shows a guy bouncing it low, but they don't explain at all the required or achieved specs, and don't show any actual gameplay.
I was curious, I'm disappointed.

I'm curious how it performs in aerodynamic terms, Will this travel the same speeds and distances when thrown I wonder ?

But why?

My god the amount of R&D to not have to use a pump?

So now all Wilson products rise in price to cover these R&D costs….
To be fair, besides the pump there are other benefits too. It should last much longer than regular balls as long as the materials are strong enough and don't deteriorate fast with regular use or because of water/sun.

The majority of the balls I've owned ended up deflating after a while.

To be fair, besides the pump there are other benefits too. It should last much longer than regular balls as long as the materials are strong enough and don't deteriorate fast with regular use or because of water/sun.

The majority of the balls I've owned ended up deflating after a while.
I don't think that would really matter that much. Officials inspect the game ball before every game and have tons of backups. However, surely Wilson will want to sell them to the average Joe too, so they will need to stand up.

Let me guess,

it'll be more expensive?

but really, why is this a thing, you can buy a bball and a pump for less than 15 dollars these days. oh, were lazy, and pumping the ball is just too much work?

I don't think that would really matter that much. Officials inspect the game ball before every game and have tons of backups. However, surely Wilson will want to sell them to the average Joe too, so they will need to stand up.
I was obviously talking about my own balls, not competition balls.

I do want my balls to remain firm and not deflate over time. Maybe that way I'll shoot better. Who knows, maybe I'll even score.

Well... This video is all marketing fluff about 3D printing, yeah we know that, and there's even another video that shows a guy bouncing it low, but they don't explain at all the required or achieved specs, and don't show any actual gameplay.
I was curious, I'm disappointed.

Does it even support raytracing?

Wow, the amount of BS is so high with this one.

First, there's no mention of any advantage this solution has. Sure, no need to inflate, but how often does a basket ball need to be inflated? Is that a problem at the first place?

Second, it's 3D printed, which means mass production is hardly possible or really expensive.

Third, it's printed then coated with color. How durable can that nano-thin-coat be?

Fourth, what about aerodynamics, inner turbulences?

The ad says "a basket ball made of powder and lasers". I mean, are you serious man?

Back