Win 7 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running xp 64 bit on an asus p6t, core i7 920, 4890 gpu and I partitioned my drive so I could install windows 7 from within xp. I mounted win 7 and it was installing and then it reset and the screen now says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" I tried rebooting and it gave me the same message. Can anyone help me?

Use the recovery console on the windows xp disc. Any particular reason you installed windows 7 from within windows xp?

Use the recovery console on the windows xp disc. Any particular reason you installed windows 7 from within windows xp?

Hahah yes I know it was stupid, I don't have a dvd burner to burn a windows 7 dvd. I thought I could do it without burning a dvd. I'll give that a try and then re-post back.

Well thanks for the tip, but when I turned on my computer again it finished installing windows 7 and now it works with no problems. I can see both partitions and I'm asked which version of windows I want to log into. I guess cd's really are a thing of the past.

CDs may be a thing of the past... but external media devices aren't. You're always going to want to have a copy of something outside of the main system... we may use flash memory or new types of optical storage to replace CDs... but there's something to be said about having something else to boot from lol. Installing an OS from within another OS sounds like suicide to me... especially a WINDOWS OS...

Anyways, glad to hear you got it working.

Glad to here you got it working, you still might want to consider getting yourself a dvd burner. For what they cost and the cost of a blank dvd, they're cheap enought to be well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back