Win Key Plus E Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, any help with this would be much appreciated. Got a new computer at work (hand down from boss) and when I press winkey + E (for windows explorer) I get an error saying the "the parameter is incorrect" any ideas what's going on? Thanks in advance!

Yes all windows explorer functions work great it's just that keyboard shortcut that gives me problems and it aggravates me to no end that i can't figure it out.

Try reprogramming it. Otherwise, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it since you can access through Start. You could also try creating a new shortcut and dragging it to the Quick Launch Toolbar.

In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing more than a minor annoyance, right?

Yeah it is minor but just thought someone might have experienced it b4 and knew exactly what was going on. I suspect it's a reg. setting but I don't wanna change anything in there and screw something else up.

Try reprogramming it. Otherwise, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it since you can access through Start. You could also try creating a new shortcut and dragging it to the Quick Launch Toolbar.

In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing more than a minor annoyance, right?

Boy, if you asked me that I would answer "hell no." I probably have to open an explorer window 100 times a day (on a slow day) and that would become quite a bit more than minor.

OP - if remapping the original key combination fails, I have pasted the registry fix below. If that doesn't do it, try setting up a new hotkey combo (win+x is available) that opens explorer.exe. I imagine you could get used to it.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
Modify/Create the Value Name [Scancode Map] according to the Value Data listed below.
Data Type: REG_BINARY [Binary Value] // Value Name: Scancode Map
Value Data: [Enter Exactly as Shown Below]
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0 00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00
Exit Registry and Reboot

Followed your instructions and got pretty deep in there and got worried when I started entering the data the 00 00 08 stuff it wasn't popping up like you show on the screen it kept putting up 0008 on the next line...got me worried because I've experienced registry screw ups b4 and this is my work computer and boss would have my *** if I messed it up.
Thanks anyways.

Please understand that you are being given Registry editing instructions by a relatively new member. Hopefully you backed up the Registry before messing with it. I suggest you restore it.

If your computer is in a work environment, you should be addressing the problem to the IT person, not a computer help board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back