Win10 Home network Issue

Dear Members,

I have 6 Win 10 desktops and laptops networked via cable and wireless at home. All working well seeing each other and being able to access files/folders on each.

My issue is that I added a very old Intel Pentium, Win XP desktop machine, and I am unable to see the XP asset, on any of the Win 10 machines. Surprisingly, from the new additional Win XP desktop machine, I can see all of the active Win 10 machines, but I cannot access files/folders. I get the error message that the network computer is unavailable and I do not have the necessary permission for access...go see my administrator.

Any advice? My gut feeling is that the problem is very basic, but I am missing something. My expectation is that the XP desktop should be able to join join my existing Win 10 home network. Thanks for any thoughts.

Are all the desktops using unique logons? If you create a common logon for all systems, including the XP, I recall that sharing will work again.

You can test using just the XP and any Win/10 that has a Share.

Add the same login/password to both

Thanks J. O. Beard I will give the XP machine a test with one Win 10 machine and use identical logon's. All the Win 10 machines are different as they have a Microsoft based account logon with a PIN.

For the SHARED FOLDER ( resident on XP or Win/10), you need to setup NTFS Permissions:

Open the properties to the share and do the following:
On the Share Tab (or Security) permissions to accounts: Everyone and Administrators. BOTH account should have full control over the share.
permissions for accounts: Everyone, Administrators, Users
(all of those names should be present. You may need to add Users.)
Give full control to each account.

After making all the changes to the network settings, the Windows XP PC can access the shares on the Windows 10 PC

You might try going to computer management on the xp machine and open up services and see if you can start the workstation in services.

start > right click my computer > click manage > when the computer management window opens, maximize it >in the middle pane double click services and applications, then on the ensuing screen in the middle pane double click services(you will have a huge list of services in alphanumeric order) > scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and double click the workstation and see if it is started. If it is not click start and then apply & Ok.

Not being able to see one computer with several others and being able to see the others from the machine the other's can't see is a known networking issue when a workstation is not started.

Last edited:
Back