Window XP loading issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

Well have a nice 3 day weekend I come into work to find our second register that runs quickbooks POS giving me the "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" error message. I think the power went out and screwed something up.

So I reboot just hoping it will work, and after some loading I get a black screen with white text and the the error message:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

Ok so I find a nice guide that tells me how to replace the offending file from the xp pro install disc. I try to do this and I get an "Access Denied" Error.

So I see its recommend to try running chkdsk /r from the recover console and try again. So I do that, and reboot. I then start getting a BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume".

So from the recovery console I ran fixmbr and fixboot. After that I started getting a BSOD with "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" error.

I copied over the correct files to fix than, and after rebooting I got a BOSD with "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE" error. Copied that file over, and the BSOD went away.

But now when I boot it goes to the windows loading screen, then after bit the screen goes blank and stops. If I boot into safe mode it stalls at "mup.sys". A quick search recommends going back into the recover console, finding agp440 service and disabling it. Unfortunately I can't find the agp440 service listed when I use the listsvc command :(. I did some more searching, but haven't really found a solution for this.

So does anyone have any bright ideas?

And I really don't want have to reformat this computer. Its not an issue of data loss since its the 2nd register, and running Quickbooks POS as a slave client, all the data is stored on the server register. But reinstall Quickbooks is such a pain and last time I spend 4 hours on the phone with their help trying to activate Quickbooks, the entire time treated as if I was trying to steel their software -_-....

So if I can avoid reformatting it would make my life that much wonderful.

Also attached is the hardware profile for that machine generated by PartionMagic found on the UBCD.

And thanks in advance for any help offered. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

Attachments

• hardinfo_report.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 1
Usually you can boot to your Windows XP Professional disk, and eventually get to a screen for R for Repair, which is after the screen, R for Restore... Run Repair and you should be back to normal... it is supposedly a bit risky when you do not have your files backed up. But we have never had it fail...
This does not always work with the Windows XP Home disk....
But it will restore your Windows setup without destroying anything else except Service packs. You will then need to restore you Service Pack 2 or 3.

Usually you can boot to your Windows XP Professional disk, and eventually get to a screen for R for Repair, which is after the screen, R for Restore... Run Repair and you should be back to normal... it is supposedly a bit risky when you do not have your files backed up. But we have never had it fail...
This does not always work with the Windows XP Home disk....
But it will restore your Windows setup without destroying anything else except Service packs. You will then need to restore you Service Pack 2 or 3.

Ok. Well when I boot off the xp pro cd, the first screen it gives me is something like

Press Enter to install Windows
Press R to enter recovery console
or press Esc to quit.

When I press R I don't get a restore option, it just takes me straight to the DOS prompt looking Recovery Console. Am I missing a step in there somewhere?

And as far as loosing data, there is really nothing stored on that machine except the install for the anti-virus and Quickbooks POS. Just so I don't have to re-install quickbooks im happy.

If "R" doesn't work, you can try the Tried and True Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option from 2006. Read about it at Information Week.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897.

I have had great success using this operation. Although you will have to update windows security patches, especially if you don't have an XP Slip or Streamlined CD.
But you won't lose any data or program installs.

Enter

When doing a repair install, you have to press Enter. Then you press R to repair. XP is different from Vista, and XP has only repair install and recovery console. And for your question... yes, you are missing a step.

The R for Repair only works consistently with well Windows XP Professional... there are many versions of Windows HP Home that does not offer the Repair option.
And the access to Repair does vary based on what brand of computer came with the disk.
XP always has Recovfery Console, which practically nobody knows how to use, but only some Home and all XP Professional disks have the R for Repair Option, and it appears in a delayed place in the choices presented to you.

Ok well i'm working with a OEM Windows XP Pro SP 1 disc. :p. But I will try what you said superty12. Thanks.

EDIT:
Ok I pressed Enter at the first screen now I'm looking at a screen that says:

To setup windows xp pro press enter
Create a partition in unpartioned space press c
Delete a partition press D

Then it list the 1 partition on the 40 gig dd in there :(

I tried hitting 'r' for the hell of it but nothing happens :(

EDIT 2:
I was looking that this guide here: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm, and after hitting F8 to agree to the TOS I should get this screen: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/Setup03.jpg but I don't it takes me straight to a screen that looks like: http://handband.net/wiki/images/3/36/Winxp_install_5.gif\

EDIT 3:
OK well I guess they disc aren't OEM versions. Both say 'For distribution with new PC's only.' and one has SP1a included and the other has SP2. Both give the the same results :(. But now I'm thinking it might be a moot point b/c on loading it popped up with a nice big error that's saying:
"Master Harddisc SMART Bad. Backup data and replace harddisc, failure may be Imminent." I really don't want to get this thing working and have to go through reformatting it a couple months down the road, so i'm just going to pop a new hdd in there, and then spend the rest of my day arguing with the quickbooks people to convince them we still own a licensed to their software -_-

Thanks for your guys help on this, but I think its just time to cut my looses and start from scratch.

Yeah

Yeah that may be the best option now.:( When Windows doesn't recognize Windows and they're the same versions, it usually means your installed Windows is seriously corrupted :(:(:(. If Inuit (the maker of Quickbooks) treats you like you're tring to steal their software again, threaten to report them to the BBB (Better Buisness Bureau). Maybe they'll treat you better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back