Windows 10 --> 8 --> without losing data

Will35

Hello,
I recently built a new pc and replaced everything but the SSD from my old one. Everything went well but after a few days, Oh no! A wild Activate Windows has appeared! I tried selecting the " I recently changed hardware, but it didn't work. I have an old windows 8 key that I have verified as still working, so I assume my best option is to downgrade to Windows 8, then back to Windows 10. I have spent a significant period of time downloading programs and games and I would really prefer not to lose that. Is there any way I could carry out this transition without losing my data? I have a 500GB HDD from my old pc that I could use for backups, but I have no experience in this area and thought I would turn to the wise people of TechSpot.
Tl;dr I want to go Windows 10-8-10 without losing data.
Any help is much appreciated.

Gee whiz and I thought the section beginning at the quotation below would solve it...

"How to Reactivate the License
Once you arrive at the desktop, you will need to re-enter your product key. You can do this a couple of different ways, let’s try the easiest method first.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key. Enter your Windows 7 or Windows 8.0/8.1 product key then click Next to activate.

The other option is to enter the key from the command prompt, press Windows key + X then click Command Prompt (Admin). Use this option only if you are experiencing difficulty doing so from within Settings."

Let me know if you ever find an answer.

Being a human and possessing some basic intel
Gee whiz and I thought the section beginning at the quotation below would solve it...

"How to Reactivate the License
Once you arrive at the desktop, you will need to re-enter your product key. You can do this a couple of different ways, let’s try the easiest method first.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key. Enter your Windows 7 or Windows 8.0/8.1 product key then click Next to activate.

The other option is to enter the key from the command prompt, press Windows key + X then click Command Prompt (Admin). Use this option only if you are experiencing difficulty doing so from within Settings."

Let me know if you ever find an answer.
Being a human and possessing some basic intelligence, I have in fact tried that :) unfortunately it gives an invalid code error. I have tried booting from a Windows 8 USB and after checking the code it verified it as valid.

If his old computer had manufacturer oem windows key preinstalled.
Any newer hardware "mobo" "cpu" "ram" will make his installation invalid.
If his windows product key was retail, he needs to find that key and talk to microsoft.
They will do a manual registry fix while implementing his key to the new hardware over the phone chat.

Back