Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout could take another two months

Scorpus

Staff member

If you're wondering why you haven't yet received the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, a recent email from Microsoft, as spotted by ZDNet, has the answer. Hidden away in a footnote, Microsoft states that the Anniversary Update may take up to three months to reach all users, in what can only be described as a slow rollout.

Considering the Anniversary Update began rolling out via Windows Update on August 2nd, we're now a little over a month into the three month roll out. This means that some users could be waiting another two months to get their Anniversary Update through Microsoft's official update delivery channels.

Here in the TechSpot offices we have a number of devices that haven't received the Anniversary Update, and it seems as though newer PCs are being prioritized in the rollout.

Microsoft is taking its time rolling out the Anniversary Update so it can see what is working and what issues users are running in to. The idea here is that Microsoft can make tweaks to the update during the rollout and before issues can affect the entirety of the Windows user base. And we've already seen a number of issues with the Anniversary Update, including compatibility problems with webcams and McAfee software.

For those that desperately want the Anniversary Update on their devices, Microsoft does have an installation tool that will download and install the update for you. This could come in handy if you want to use some of the Anniversary Update's new features, such as extensions in Microsoft Edge, new inking tools, or the Bash shell.

Permalink to story.

What happened to testing your software before releasing it? What is the Windows Insider group doing if they aren't being used to test this?

This update is crap... My Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 at work installed this update (apparently our WSUS guy accidently approved it) and it screwed up my system. It removed RSAT (which is pretty common from Windows updates unfortunately) but that wasn't a big deal, I just installed the newest version. However it broke Windows Update is appears and half the time when I try to launch a program it crashes with error "the stub received bad data". I still have five pending updates I can't get because every time it tries to install them it is stuck at 0% and never makes any progress. Eventually it just gives up, but I still can't install updates. I've tried clearing out the update cache and doing all kinds of recommendations by the community but no go. I'm probably going to have to reimage my SP3, but I'm still holding on even though I'm having these issues.

M$ doesn't really give a crap though they have the market cornered, no one is making a full on alternative to Active Directory so they own the enterprise market. Chromebooks took a small bite with schools and such but even still those aren't really full on solutions, just big Android-like tablets with keyboards. So the enterprise world has to suffer at the hands of M$ for an indefinite amount of time.

Last edited:
What happened to testing your software before releasing it? What is the Windows Insider group doing if they aren't being used to test this?

This update is crap... My Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 at work installed this update (apparently our WSUS guy accidently approved it) and it screwed up my system. It removed RSAT (which is pretty common from Windows updates unfortunately) but that wasn't a big deal, I just installed the newest version. However it broke Windows Update is appears and half the time when I try to launch a program it crashes with error "the stub received bad data". I still have five pending updates I can't get because every time it tries to install them it is stuck at 0% and never makes any progress. Eventually it just gives up, but I still can't install updates. I've tried clearing out the update cache and doing all kinds of recommendations by the community but no go. I'm probably going to have to reimage my SP3, but I'm still holding on even though I'm having these issues.

M$ doesn't really give a crap though they have the market cornered, no one is making a full on alternative to Active Directory so they own the enterprise market. Chromebooks took a small bite with schools and such but even still those aren't really full on solutions, just big Android-like tablets with keyboards. So the enterprise would has to suffer at the hands of M$ for an indefinite amount of time.

I'm in the insider group. We have no way to report bugs we find if you want an honest answer. Microsoft just doesn't care what people think or about downtime they cause.

aa

M$ doesn't really give a crap though they have the market cornered, no one is making a full on alternative to Active Directory so they own the enterprise market. Chromebooks took a small bite with schools and such but even still those aren't really full on solutions, just big Android-like tablets with keyboards. So the enterprise would has to suffer at the hands of M$ for an indefinite amount of time.

I'm in the insider group. We have no way to report bugs we find if you want an honest answer. Microsoft just doesn't care what people think or about downtime they cause.

Agreed, I use to provide feedback regularly, but now I rarely even open the Insider App anymore --- the whole Insider Program seems to be a big joke. Before the Anniversary Update officially released, my self and many other Insiders provided feedback about Edge frequently saying "Not Responding" & crashing, but so far that feedback has been ignored. I just went back to Firefox as of yesterday because I'm sick of dealing with it. Funny thing is, Edge was lightning very fast and quite stable maybe 2-3 months before the update was released...they really screwed Edge up during one of the builds as it got closer to the release version.

I'd almost rather them return to their old Service Pack model, at least then we saw significant reliability & stability improvements within the OS. Major Windows 10 updates seem to just bring in a significant increase of bugs, more annoyances, new features that only a handful of people will use and random (and some times unwelcomed) UI changes.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Teko03, post: 1563278]

Agreed, I rarely even open the Insider App anymore --- the whole Insider Program seems to be a big joke. I'd almost rather them return to their old Service Pack model, at lest then we saw significant reliability & stability improvements within the OS. Windows 10 seems to just bring in a significant increase of bugs, more annoyances, new features that only a handful of people will use and random (and some times unwelcome UI changes).[/QUOTE]
They pink slipped everyone that use to do service pack quality control, so that would require a lot of back pedaling.

I love how this is suppose to be news but this was announced months ago and again just a month ago that it would take roughly 3 months for the roll out. People love to talk sh*t about Microsoft every chance they get. The news is not only old it was already announced on this very site. Rehashing news is to get readers or because someone likes bashing MS.

I have used Windows 10 pro for like a year and half, no major issues. Done it to 4 different computers all running just fine. While nothing is perfect, roughly 400,000 use 10 and don't have any major issues. There is only a few people that complain and those are in the minority not the majority. No software no matter who makes it will ever be perfect. MS have their way of doing things like it or not. Don't like it then go use Apple or Google.
We live in a age where testing is barely being done. Quality testing not being done by MS is not new but just look at Apple and Samsung who is in a lot of trouble over battery issues. None of this is new but ppl love to make like it is. It's been this way a long time and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

Hey MS, give us back the Windows 7 start menu....at least as an option! And, yes Trolls, I know you can use a third party utility for that. We shouldn't have to!

Hey MS, give us back the Windows 7 start menu....at least as an option! And, yes Trolls, I know you can use a third party utility for that. We shouldn't have to!
If you want a decent, reliable OS with the Win 7 start menu, you don't need to install a third party app. Just install Win 7. It might seem like I'm being facetious but admit it. You're already considering it.

If you want a decent, reliable OS with the Win 7 start menu, you don't need to install a third party app. Just install Win 7. It might seem like I'm being facetious but admit it. You're already considering it.

LOLOLOL! No, not considering it. I love Windows 7 but it's headed toward obsolescence. My hope is that MS is forgiving with hardware upgrades on Win10 and I can have a "perpetual" OS. I've shelled out THOUSANDS of dollars on OS upgrades since Win 3.1, I'm praying that has finally ended for the sake of older machines with good hardware.

As a beta tester/Insider, I lost faith in MS when they wouldn't listen to our feedback about the original Win8 and still released that dog. Then they had to eat crow and fixed many of the issues by releasing 8.1. And MS is upping their game of lousy updates, AU, and other bugs in Win10. I've upgraded many different machines to 10 and/or AU. One is stable-ish, while the others have their own list of quirks & bugs that make no sense. They were perfectly stable under Win8.1...then boom.

We all know MS ditched their once stellar coding & quality control to 3rd world offshore contractors and it's having a dramatically negative impact on just about anything they put out now. This is just getting pathetic.

The win7 start menu isn't coming back.

So either use a third party app or go back to win 7.

Or just keep asking for it unfortunately its falling on deaf ears.

Last edited:
I upgraded a laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Was having a lot of bugs with it. The conversion is smoother from Windows 8/8.1 to 10.

The Anniversary update eliminated many bugs, but left a few noticeable ones.

so why don't you ask this for Android , Chrome OS and Apple OS?
Microsoft are moving with the times, the others don't do it.
so it was the normal process of changing their OS.. right?

so why don't you ask this for Android , Chrome OS and Apple OS? Microsoft are moving with the times, the others don't do it. so it was the normal process of changing their OS.. right?
Because Android isn't a desktop OS and my desktop is not a 27" tablet. Same reason we don't want to replace our car's steering wheel with a "flat" child's bicycle's handlebars just because it's painted with sparkly bits that "low requirement users" gush over...

I love how this is suppose to be news but this was announced months ago and again just a month ago that it would take roughly 3 months for the roll out. People love to talk sh*t about Microsoft every chance they get. The news is not only old it was already announced on this very site. Rehashing news is to get readers or because someone likes bashing MS.

I have used Windows 10 pro for like a year and half, no major issues. Done it to 4 different computers all running just fine. While nothing is perfect, roughly 400,000 use 10 and don't have any major issues. There is only a few people that complain and those are in the minority not the majority. No software no matter who makes it will ever be perfect. MS have their way of doing things like it or not. Don't like it then go use Apple or Google.
We live in a age where testing is barely being done. Quality testing not being done by MS is not new but just look at Apple and Samsung who is in a lot of trouble over battery issues. None of this is new but ppl love to make like it is. It's been this way a long time and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

You are probably right about why this story has essentially been posted again... but who cares. If you already know just skip the article. How is it hurting you?

And it is great you haven't had any major issues. Wonderful, in fact. Not everyone is all that lucky and just because we are the "minority" doesn't make the problems less significant. I've wasted hours at work trying to fix issues this update caused, and have now just had to wipe and start over because of it. Because M$ isn't doing enough testing and they seem to have a "don't care" mentality. This IS a big problem and is pissing a lot of customers off. I'm not a "fan boy" of any particular product. And if you ask me what is the best OS out there I'll say Windows, but that doesn't mean it isn't becoming crappier, and crappier. Since I work in the enterprise market there is no other OS that can provide what we need, so we can't just go to Apple or Google. M$ needs to get their sh*t together and just because their product works ok for you doesn't mean a damn thing to the rest of us.

That being said, unfortunately you are probably right in that it isn't going to change anytime soon. I see a few more anti-trust sized lawsuits coming their way for the havoc their products and associated updates have caused to their customers computer systems. And until some other company comes up with an alternative to Active Directory, group policies, etc. etc. Windows will continue to rule the enterprise OS market and M$ will likely continue to sh*t all over it and their customers. You can sit there with a smug look on your face and just keep saying "works fine for me don'cha know...". Thanks dude.

True.

I left the insider group months ago, having participated in both the Win 10 and Win 10 Phone groups. It was an admirable attempt at soliciting feedback but the commitment wasn't there on the side of MS. Open loop nonsense with canned responses.

And most importantly, many things simply not fixed.
Some would claim, there has actually been an increase in base issues - even compared to Win 8. This is a primary reason for many in the Windows ecosystem's installed base who refuse to budge from Windows 7. For all the spit & polish, for all the 'new & improved' rhetoric, one thing is certain - Microsoft hasn't figured out how to fix stupid. (their internal stupidity that is ...)

Last edited:
so why don't you ask this for Android , Chrome OS and Apple OS?
Microsoft are moving with the times, the others don't do it.
so it was the normal process of changing their OS.. right?

Because I want a DESKTOP OS, not some attempt by Millennials at MS at trying to mimic Android. I have no personal need to sync with my phone nor anything else. The majority of the Win10 "features" are nothing but bloatware I don't need.

... And until some other company comes up with an alternative to Active Directory, group policies, etc. etc. Windows will continue to rule the enterprise OS market and M$ will likely continue to sh*t all over it and their customers. ...

So painfully near the Attitude of those "Bad Ol' IBM puddytats" that Gates and Co beat into deserved submission back at the dawn of time.. what goes around..

Back