Windows 10 April 2018 Update is crashing some systems with Intel SSDs (update)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Update: Microsoft has revised its original post, specifying that Intel SSD 600p Series and Intel SSD Pro 6000p Series are susceptible to the issue.

Microsoft’s Windows 10 April 2018 Update starting rolling out to the general public on April 30 but has since been halted for some users.

As outlined in a recent Microsoft Answers post, systems with certain Intel-branded solid state drives may enter a UEFI screen reboot or crash repeatedly when upgrading to the Windows 10 April 2018 build. Microsoft chalked it up to a known incompatibility issue that can cause stability and performance issues.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround for the issue and Microsoft didn’t specify exactly which model drives are impacted. As such, Microsoft is blocking some Intel SSDs from installing the April 2018 Update.

If you believe you’re affected by the issue, Microsoft advises rolling back to Windows 10 version 1709 and waiting for an official resolution before reinstalling the update. This can reportedly be done by pressing F8 during the boot process and restoring to an earlier version of the OS.

No date for relief was provided although Microsoft says it is working on a fix that it hopes to roll out in a “near future” patch.

Have you experienced any issues with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update on a system running an Intel SSD? If so, feel free to share which model SSD you’re using as well as what exactly happened in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I'm unable to install it on my Intel 160GB G2 x2 in Raid 0

keep getting this error code

0xc1900101

"0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

Worked with M$ 2nd Tier support and they admitted to having issues with 1803.
They told me to stay at 1709 for the time being because it could be several weeks before they roll out a fix.
Will probably be much longer.

I'm using a Samung 950 Pro.

And b4 the usual suspects chime in -

sfc Scan
DISM image checks
Drivers
Devices
AV

all that stuff has been checked out with no issues on 1709.

"0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

They told me to stay at 1709 for the time being because it could be several weeks before they roll out a fix.

interesting, I'm using a Samsung 950 Pro with zero problems on a Asus Z-170 Deluxe. Both the 'upgrade and following clean install are working fine.

My SSD is Intel SSD 600p Series and after the update my laptop keeps crashing and freezing, even the fix update still crashing my laptop. In one day alone my laptop has crashed over 60 times for the day and I need my laptop from work.

interesting said:
I too have a Samsung 950 Pro with a Gigabyte Z170X motherboard. Update went fine but have had two system crashes in the last week after months of stability. Will wait and see if this continues.

My SSD is Intel SSD 600p Series and after the update my laptop keeps crashing and freezing, even the fix update still crashing my laptop. In one day alone my laptop has crashed over 60 times for the day and I need my laptop from work.
Are you sure this is the problem?

Serves you right for owning an Intel SSD......
What if u bought a laptop that came with an intel ssd

It's called patience.

Are you a developer? If so, you likely were testing your software on a pre-release build anyway and would've encountered the problem right away.

Do you earn your living with the software that's being updated? Unlikely because Microsoft's builit-in software is largely for consumers.

So... be patient. Intel will update their drivers soon enough. Why are you itching to be Microsoft's beta tester?

Hey Guys & Gals; this aint no joke and it's painful when it happens to you - - have some empathy
(you all know I'm no fan boy for MS too).

Was about to say the same, ain't no fan of Intel, but I feel sorry for people with problems. I hate when Windows update messes up my system, and I can't even imagine how painful it is when you make a living out of that PC...

I've got the Intel 750 SSD and am having no issues... it's only a small % of Intel SSDs - just because you have one doesn't mean you're "doomed"...

Plus, as other users have already stated, MS updates are NOT essential... If you have an Intel SSD, simply wait... you don't NEED the update right away!

HELP. I recently updated to Windows 10 last week and all of a sudden it is like my laptop is possessed. It opens and closes documents, applications. If I hover mouse over something it will open it. I want to go back to previous version and tried the F8 during reboot but because I need a PIN to log on, it won't let anything happen and brings me to start up screen. Any help would be appreciated!

PS I've done a virus scan and all is good.

interesting, I'm using a Samsung 950 Pro with zero problems on a Asus Z-170 Deluxe. Both the 'upgrade and following clean install are working fine.

Same here. No issues at all.

The April update is proving itself to be a disaster, whether you have an SSD drive installed or not. We've seen everything from freeze-ups, rebooting randomly, and black screen after the update was applied. Keep up the great work Microsoft. Maybe some testing might help before pushing this stuff out.

The April update is proving itself to be a disaster, whether you have an SSD drive installed or not. We've seen everything from freeze-ups, rebooting randomly, and black screen after the update was applied. Keep up the great work Microsoft. Maybe some testing might help before pushing this stuff out.
"proving itself to be a disaster"?!?!?

Can you kindly provide some of this "proof"... while there are certainly issues, it's hardly a "disaster".... the solution for virtually all of the small amount of people effected is simply to perform a rollback and wait for a fix... there are ALWAYS issues with any update for any OS... they tend to get ironed out... I see no reason to believe that this update will "prove" otherwise.

"proving itself to be a disaster"?!?!?

Can you kindly provide some of this "proof"... while there are certainly issues, it's hardly a "disaster".... the solution for virtually all of the small amount of people effected is simply to perform a rollback and wait for a fix... there are ALWAYS issues with any update for any OS... they tend to get ironed out... I see no reason to believe that this update will "prove" otherwise.

The proof for us is in the number of systems that we manage that had updated to 1803, most of which experienced the issues I've mentioned. Each of these had to be rolled back to the previous version to resolve. If you search google news for "Windows 10 April update" you'll notice that this update is not impacting just a "small amount" of people. Systems freezing up or blue/black screening are not minor issues. Yes, there are always bugs/issues with any new software release. But, how about giving a user the option of updating vs being forced it?

The proof for us is in the number of systems that we manage that had updated to 1803, most of which experienced the issues I've mentioned. Each of these had to be rolled back to the previous version to resolve. If you search google news for "Windows 10 April update" you'll notice that this update is not impacting just a "small amount" of people. Systems freezing up or blue/black screening are not minor issues. Yes, there are always bugs/issues with any new software release. But, how about giving a user the option of updating vs being forced it?
Who's "us"? And if you have the Pro or Enterprise version of Windows 10, you DO have the option to update...

Back