Windows 10 Creators Update will have a feature to block app installs outside of Store

Julio Franco

Staff member

Microsoft is working on a new Windows 10 security feature that will block installation of regular Win32 applications and only allow verified installs from the Windows Store. The feature is already present in the latest builds of the OS that serve as a preview for the Windows 10 Creators Update set to arrive this April.

Naturally, the option is disabled by default, but it presents an interesting scenario if you want to purposely prevent users from installing new programs in managed scenarios (schools and businesses), or for that grandpa in serious need of a software walled garden. As reported by MSpoweruser, the feature offers two options: to completely prevent installation of Win32 apps, or to allow them but with a warning whenever they try to install a Win32 app.

The feature also shows a possible path for Microsoft to pursue in the future. Similar to what you can do with Android devices today, have the official app store become the most convenient way to download and install applications. But first Microsoft would have to open up the Windows Store to more popular titles, including so-called legacy Win32 applications, and to offer some kind of security verification for all those third-party titles.

Apple has a hybrid strategy with Macs which proved somewhat successful at first, though most developers still prefer to ship their products as third party standalone versions. As far as we can tell, Microsoft has had little success getting people to rely on the Windows Store outside of a few tablet optimized applications and some notable game releases.

The Creators Update is the second big update Windows 10 receives (Anniversary Update was the first a year ago) and will deliver a wealth of new features and improvements to the operating system free of charge.

Permalink to story.

I can see this working on a corporate environment, but it already works by revoking administration privileges to users. Maybe something less restricting? It's odd one way or the other, since it already exists.

"..or that grandpa in serious need of a software walled garden."

Chances are grandpa is used to installing real software and has little use for pitiful "apps" that do nothing but advertise and spy.

"Naturally this is disabled by default"
with MS wouldn't the other way be the actual way it is implemented?
"will deliver a wealth of new features and improvements"
PR text or naïve optimism, although there hopefully there will be something good in there

Honestly, the real target for a feature like this seems to be me when I have to fix a particular family member's computer. Right now, I have them set for "NO. Nothing else gets installed" as far as privileges go, but get regular calls from them about wanting to install 'this, that, or the other thing' - always bloatware at best, occasionally a virus at worst.

This would let me say "You can install stuff from the store, and from nowhere else", and probably lessen my headaches all around - they handle their iPhone and Android phone just fine, it's just Windows where they are the victim of their own willful ignorance.

Ok the replies are stupid, it's clear that is meant for closed environments and "oooh I hope Microsoft doesn't make this the default". Of course it's not going to make it the default option, what the actual duck are you thinking about.

Meant for closed environments?
they already have a thing for this called the Group Policy Editor
this is unnecessary and unneeded

I'm sure you have Satya Nadella shaking in his boots...
I know I'm just one person. I don't really care if he shakes or not. I meant what I said though. However I have a feeling I'm not alone, which is why this will likely not become mainstream.

I know I'm just one person. I don't really care if he shakes or not. I meant what I said though. However I have a feeling I'm not alone, which is why this will likely not become mainstream.
That people think this will go mainstream baffles me... it's clearly for closed environment.

Why even introduce it at all?
As has been noted in earlier comments, there is no good reason a consumer would want to be locked into the Windows App Store. That's just wishful thinking on MS's part. This is more likely MS catching up to Android and Apple in having the feature for phones/tablets but it has no place on a Windows PC/laptop.
It's just another play from MS in getting us used to the idea of being locked in. Apple can get away with it but MS can't. Not yet anyway. Instead, MS should embrace their openness and concentrate on providing a platform with sandboxing and security. That's not easy. But it would be admirable.

So that they force users into their market place. They created their store, it is only natural they would want people (as in everyone) to use it. That is no matter how they need to go about motivating/forcing them into it. Just look at all the tactics MS did with Windows Update getting people on Windows 10. And here you are thinking this is the end of their tactics for getting people in the store.

So that they force users into their market place. They created their store, it is only natural they would want people (as in everyone) to use it. That is no matter how they need to go about motivating/forcing them into it. Just look at all the tactics MS did with Windows Update getting people on Windows 10. And here you are thinking this is the end of their tactics for getting people in the store.
You are hating for the sake of hating. Unless the developers start developing for store apps, they will reach nowhere by closing down the environment, versus what Satya Nadella is making by opening windows apps more and more even to other OS's.

You are hating for the sake of hating.
For this topic, maybe. But I'm not hating MS for no reason. Just because you can't see MS doing specific things doesn't mean others can't. What MS does and what they want to do is two different things. Just because they don't or haven't yet, you can't sit there and say you don't see MS wanting to have everything available only in the store. And as arrogant as MS is, yes I can most definitely see them doing anything.

Microsoft be fore-warned. The day you decide to make this mainstream. It will be the last day I use your software.
I'm sure you have Satya Nadella shaking in his boots...
Well, for my part I've just finished buying the parts for a new PC, which will be running Windows 7. (I have a spare copy for this special occasion / emergency). After which, I will be installing absolutely nothing from the Windows store.

Right now, I am farting and flipping the bird in the direction of Redmond WA. M$ has allowed Lucifer, in the form of a man, to assume sovereignty over the world's computers. Can the apocalypse be truly be far behind?

I have thrown my M$ prayer mat into a cleansing fire, and am proceeding toward a cataclysmic crisis of faith. I cannot bring myself to utter "God's one true name". (Nor will the profanity blocking software here at TS allow me to do so).

I think Dante said it best when he said, "abandon hope all ye who enter the M$ store".

In other news, M$ continually lowers the bar toward toward romancing the lowest common denominator and incompetent of Windows "users".

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadella tries to foist Windows 10 off on "Etch-a-Sketch", and Fisher-Price enters the desktop arena...:eek:.

Back