Windows 10 is not getting any more feature updates

Daniel Sims

Staff
Bottom line: Windows 10 hasn't received significant new features in a while since Microsoft pivoted to Windows 11, but the company has now confirmed it ceased developing major updates for the older operating system. The shift comes despite Windows 11's struggles to overtake its predecessor in user adoption.

Microsoft confirmed this week that the current version of Windows 10 dubbed 22H2 – is the final version. The company encourages anyone who wants new feature updates to transition to Windows 11, which holds a minority of Windows market share some 18 months after release.

Furthermore, Microsoft reaffirmed that Windows 10's monthly security updates are scheduled to end on October 14, 2025. Anyone still on Windows 10 after that date will likely need to get patches from third-party groups like 0patch.

The Redmond company stopped selling Windows 10 licenses in January, so anyone buying fresh Windows keys now will get Windows 11. Currently Windows 11 Pro licenses can be found on sale for $39, a sizable discount.

Since Windows 11's launch, Windows 10 users have missed out on various updates to user interface elements like the taskbar, File Explorer, and screenshot functionality. However, multiple Windows 11 updates have caused performance issues and other glitches that Microsoft has had to fix. In December, the company had to temporarily pause its rollout of Windows 11 22H2 due to gaming performance problems.

Windows 11's user count keeps growing, but the majority of users still seem to prefer Windows 10 or see no big incentive to move on. The latest figures from Statcounter and Steam show Windows 10 running on roughly 3 out of 4 laptops and desktop systems, while Windows 11 is at around 20 percent adoption.

The somewhat confusing system requirements became a significant issue for Windows 11 in the lead-up to its launch. The OS requires TPM 2.0 for official support, which restricts it to an unusually small list of the most recent CPU generations. Moreover, the rules surrounding Windows 11 use on unsupported systems have been inconsistent.

Early information on Windows 12 recently started to emerge. Reports indicate it could receive updates at a faster pace than Windows 11. It could also adopt a more modular format for greater flexibility on a wider variety of hardware, including lower-end systems. Additionally, AI could become a more prominent component of the next generation of Windows.

Permalink to story.

I waited almost 5 years after Windows 10 was released before I upgraded and even then it felt a little half-baked. Even now I'm having some minor issues that haven't been resolved all this time, but Microsoft seems keen on forcing everyone onto their newly half-baked operating system. All the while they're preparing for the release of Windows 12. I tried Windows 11 a few times in a VM and do not care for it at all. I'm pretty sure I will be skipping Windows 11 altogether because MS is moving onto their next big thing before Windows 11 can even fully mature.

Remember back when they announced Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows? They've now decided to go in the other direction and start squeezing out a new turd every few years. Windows 7 had rounded corners, then they moved to square corners, now they're moving back to rounded corners again. They tried altering the start menu, then they tried removing it, then they went back to the old style, now they're screwing with it again. Then they started screwing with the taskbar. Nearly two years later it's still a mess. Yeah, I think I'll wait a few years after Windows 12 is released and see how committed they are to make it a solid option, but I don't have high hopes at this point.

Since Windows 11's launch, Windows 10 users have missed out on various updates to user interface elements like the taskbar, File Explorer, and screenshot functionality. However, multiple Windows 11 updates have caused performance issues and other glitches that Microsoft has had to fix. In December, the company had to temporarily pause its rollout of Windows 11 22H2 due to gaming performance problems.

Best summary of the reason why people will stay on 10 until the bitter end and likely beyond: Nobody was really anxious for useless crap like slightly better UI in file explorer or better screenshot functionality: People that truly want extra for those features have been installing applications to provide that functionality anyway.

On the other hand I don't think anyone, not even people using and defending 11 truly wanted more telemetry or frequent updates that break functionality or performance.

Though if I had to bet, my money is that Microsoft will either expand 10's life or rush out Windows 12 so people can skip 11 but remain in their ecosystem.

We're not in Windows 10 anymore?

Let me check............. (presses Win+R -> types "winver" <ENTER>)

What the heck? This is Windows 11??

I thought I'm still using Win10! How the hell was my windows upgraded? And why does it still look the same????

/s

Last edited:
Windows 12 being developed?

I am wondering what kind of excuse M$ is going to use in order to invalidate and make obsolete every CPU generation currently in use and in production.

TPM 4.0?

Windows 12 being developed?

I am wondering what kind of excuse M$ is going to use in order to invalidate and make obsolete every CPU generation currently in use and in production.

TPM 4.0?

Limiting older hardware support wasn't a bad idea. They just went about it the wrong way. For the windows codebase to be modernised they need to start removing legacy stuff. It's the unfortunate reality.

For me, the worst Windows 11 "feature" is the excruciating difficulty to change default apps. It's a deal breaker. I use alternative apps for all bundled MS apps and they made it almost impossible to switch to another app.

Not to mention Win11 f***ing ads and data hoarding.

"Windows 10 is not getting any more feature updates"
Well Linux does. Faster and better than any Windows, 10, 11 or 12.
I've been trying Linux distros since the late 90s - I currently have a lite version of Kubutu running an old laptop, I've had it dual (and triple) booting on my main PC, and my RaspberryPi(e)s naturally all run it, but it still cannot serve me like Win10 does for everything I currently run (I'm a gamer, with several VR games). I do have hopes that, maybe in the next couple of years, that I will be able to make the full switch, or at least go back to dual-booting with Win10 as a fallback (rather than the other way around).
And why would I want W10 updated?! :D

I've been trying Linux distros since the late 90s - I currently have a lite version of Kubutu running an old laptop, I've had it dual (and triple) booting on my main PC, and my RaspberryPi(e)s naturally all run it, but it still cannot serve me like Win10 does for everything I currently run (I'm a gamer, with several VR games). I do have hopes that, maybe in the next couple of years, that I will be able to make the full switch, or at least go back to dual-booting with Win10 as a fallback (rather than the other way around).
And why would I want W10 updated?! :D
I agree with you, was making fun but also hope that soon Linux will be a viable option both for work and home users and start replacing Windows.
I need 3 more work programs on Linux to work as good as their counterparts work in Windows and I'll switch completely to Linux.

To those holding off on upgrading to Win 11 - I was also reluctant to move to Win 11, but I have to say that I’ve been generally pleased with it. I find that the UI seems to be snappier than W10, and I’m a big fan of dark mode, tabbed file manager, and tabbed command prompts.

That said, I waited 1.5 years after launch, as you’re basically a beta tester in the first 6-12 months.

Also, I installed without using an MS account and immediately reset privacy settings. I do not recall seeing ads, so maybe there’s a setting that I disabled to block this.

At last - Nirvana. An OS that works and is stable allowing all users to just productively work without constant tinkering, with all of the "bugs" ironed out and no more BSOD and continuous IT department support. No more "features" sold as benefits when they are not. But....................................were we not told that Windows 10 would be the "last" windows OS release. Followed not a few months later by the statement that Windows 11 was coming. Are Microsoft are doing it again - holding out the hope of Nirvana and dashing it a few months in the future?

Thank god the stupid "functionality" updates are ending on Windows 10.

Windows 10 forced updates don't know who you are, they don't know what you want. If you were looking for a useful update, MS knows they don't have them, but what MS does have is a very particular set of skills, skills they have acquired over a very long career, skills that make forced updates a nightmare for people like us...

I mainly use Linux (Manjaro) as my main desktop OS and Debian as server OS. I use Windows mainly for gaming although a lot of games can now be played trough Steam's Proton. I started using Win10 only because there were no new GPU drivers for Win7, I really hated Win10 so looked for options and found the LTSB/LTSC branch that comes without all the "metro" junk out of the box and is lighter on resources because of it. Also can be found really cheap. I'm currently on LTSC 2021. The other thing that makes it bearable is OpenShell that brings back the classic start menu, the Win8 like menu is a really retarded idea.

I like that MS will focus Win 10 on security and stability updates now (hopefully). As usual MS also realizes the every other OS release "is better" conundrum is real and is already letting everyone know Win 12 is on the way. They really went backwards on the UI with Win 11.

What I never got used to Windows 10 and 11 was how bright or "white" the white theme they have is. At least in Windows 10 you can use the personalization settings to make the taskbar, start menu and title bars a custom color, I made mine blue like Windows XP so it's bearable and not blinding.

I hate the dark themes of both 10 and 11. They are incomplete and too dark. I liked best the Classic theme of XP, Vista and 7 that looks like Windows 98 plus their default themes - Luna and Aero. There you had freedom to personalize the looks however you wanted. You could just patch uxtheme.dll and get custom themes that looked like higher quality than anything Microsoft could produce.

But with Windows 10 and 11, the customization shrinks more and more, it's now very hard to install custom themes and the Classic 98 theme is locked deep down and even if you make it work, it breaks many other things.

All I wanted for Windows 10 and 11 is to look like Windows 98 for one reason - it has black text on light gray background. In my opinion it's so easily readable and not burning your eyes. If only 10 and 11 had this, I would be so happy, there are the High Contrast themes, but they look so ugly and incomplete.

I used Windows 11 from summer 2021, until spring 2023 and reverted back to Windows 10, simply because it's easier to set up, especially things like Default Programs. I don't mind Windows 10 stopping getting feature updates, it's a shame Microsoft managed to taint it with the widgets thing and weather in the taskbar and the additions to the search box before the decided to stop ruining it.

The only thing I liked about Windows 11 was the rounded corners, it's generally less ugly than Windows 10, but everything else it worse. I'm not excited about Windows 12 at all or any other version to come after that. It will only keep getting worse until people need to install kernel-level modifications just to be able to change their wallpaper or enable movable windows.

Back