Windows 10 PC keeps freezing, black screen

OgDaBaby

Yesterday my pc was working good and I did play some Dota This morning I was on the game of Dota had a black screen with no signal on my monitor and my pc keep freezes randomly or keep resetting the screen , black screen and keep restarting sinced so what I did format my harddrive and done Fresh windows 10, I done also Windows Memory Diagnostic test and error checked harddrive test with no errors results. I checked hdmi cable and take out my mobo battery but no luck ?‍♂️? any help greatly appreciated

Water cooled pc

Intel i7 2600
Amd 290 4gb
Gigabyte sniper 2
12gb ddr3
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD
Barracuda 500gb harddrive

Last edited:
AMD 290 4gb is a big card using 275w - and a heat issue with this card could cause what you are experiencing. Does it run better?/longer? if you let it sit for a couple of hours?

Grab a temperature checking utility (many in download section) and watch this in a window while running game in second window. Looking for high temps either CPU or GPU. Dust needing cleanout? Heatsinks loose? TIM needing replacement?

Also type 'reliability' in search box and run it - look for red dots - click and read - looking for APPCRASH or similar.

I got Corsair rm750w Psu, I clean my card take out dust out . the card only run 5 minutes after black screen or keep resetting or restarts but it can run longer time in safe mode.

Last edited:
You have a fine system and it seems to have all the right stuff. Did you build it yourself? How long ago was that?

I suspect it is heat issue since it runs OK for a bit and then it doesn't. Since I can't see it (or hear it, or touch it), I need more information from you.

Please answer each question with some detail:
Did you change any software in the last couple of days - if so, what and when - was there any error report?

When it has been off for more than 4 hours, how long does it run until it has a problem?

Once it is warmed up, how long does it run until it has a problem?

Does it make any sounds - if so what sounds and when?

Do all the fans (CPU, GPU, PSU and case) spin? Any noises from fans?

Examining each heatsink, are any of them loose?

You have a water cooler, is it 'full' and does the pump run properly?

Could you run temperature utility? Can you tell me the temperatures for GPU and CPU?

Using 'Reliability History', were there any 'red dots'? When you click on them what is the report of technical details of the error?

Loose heatsink can boil chips.

Maybe figure out why loose and buy some Thermal Paste and make a good connection. Many YouTube videos cover good technique.

Please answer all questions in #4 above - you are my only source of information.

Fan are spinning my cpu and GPU are watercoled and my pump is working. The motherboard has green light . Can't run temperature utility beacuse before window 10 load up I had the problem freezes and black screen and keep restarting

I have problems loading windows
Did you build it yourself? How long ago was that?

I suspect it is heat issue since it runs OK for a bit and then it doesn't. Since I can't see it (or hear it, or touch it), I need more information from you.

Please answer each question with some detail:
Did you change any software in the last couple of days - if so, what and when - was there any error report?

When it has been off for more than 4 hours, how long does it run until it has a problem?

Once it is warmed up, how long does it run until it has a problem?

Does it make any sounds - if so what sounds and when?

Do all the fans (CPU, GPU, PSU and case) spin? Any noises from fans?

Examining loose heatsink, can you fix that?

Using 'Reliability History', were there any 'red dots'? When you click on them what is the report of technical details of the error?

Yes I build my pc it's been 9 years now very old the Fan are spinning my cpu and GPU are watercoled and my pump is working. The motherboard has green light . Can't run temperature utility beacuse before window 10 load up I had the problem freezes and black screen and keep restarting

But in safe mode it works

But in safe mode it works
Reliability History, please. Check on crash..if crash too quick - go to Safe Mode and read it there.
Also, if it runs in Safe mode? Please describe how long, etc.
If runs in Safe mode, run temperature utility in Safe mode.
Could you fix "loose heatsink"? Is watercooler reservoir full? When did you last change Thermal Paste?

Yesterday I found out that my 1 ram slot and the ram is faulty now pc is working fine but I have a problem with and drivers

What do you think it's the causes driver or hardware? Coz iam planning to upgrade my cpu to Ryzen or gpu

The and DDU and and driver doesn't help . Everytime I restarts my pc I still stuck black screen before sign in Windows

If Safe mode lets your system run without blacking out, first, you can make backups of your data (music, photos, docs) and then while you are still in Safe mode, you can download DDU and download WHQL AMD drivers and then run DDU and then install drivers.

I would not upgrade anything without working out what the problem is here.

How did you do with the loose heatsink?

Is not loose heat sink my cpu water block is not tight enough whats the next? I used the DDU unistalll the old driver and installed the WHQL AMD drivers Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL)

Last edited:
Heat sink - OK, strike that.

Replace "heat sink" with "heat exchanger"

Were you able to resolve the loose heat exchanger?

"whats the next? "

Confirm status:
1. heat exchanger is now firmly attached to CPU
2. pump runs
3. there is good level of coolant in the watercooled system
4. old gpu drivers removed
5. new gpu WHQL drivers installed
6. system runs properly in Safe mode; no black screen or freeze
7. RAM is tested
8. HDD is tested

Correct any errors in the above.

Check for crash in regular mode. Let me know if 'OK' or not.

If still crash, go into Safe mode, grab a temperature checking utility (many in download section) and watch this in a window while running game in second window (try in safe mode). Looking for high temps either CPU or GPU so monitor and report on maximums
Also check Reliability History and report detailed technical details on any crashes.

Last edited:
Check for crash in regular mode. Let me know if 'OK' or not.

If still crash, go into Safe mode, grab a temperature checking utility (many in download section) and watch this in a window while running game in second window (try in safe mode). Looking for high temps either CPU or GPU so monitor and report on maximums
Also check Reliability History and report detailed technical details on any crashes.

In Safe mode:

Right-click on Start and then select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then press Enter. This will fix any corruptions that it finds.

Type SFC /Scannow on the prompt, and then press Enter. This scan will repair system files.

The article linked below addresses the error you found in Reliability History. You should examine the 'technical detail' available to try determine the specific errors.

Follow steps in article: https://windowsreport.com/fix-live-kernel-event-141-error/

Please let us know your result after all the steps are completed as it is possible there is a hardware issue as well.

Doesn't work in normal mode I follow the instruction the link u gave me and also the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and SFC /Scannow

Were you able to resolve the loose waterblock?

If 'yes' then it is time to check temperatures:
go into Safe mode, grab a temperature checking utility (many in download section) and watch this in a window while running game in second window (try in safe mode). Looking for high temps either CPU or GPU so monitor and report on maximums

Last edited:
Back