Windows 10 surpasses 100 million installations

Scorpus

Staff member

According to the latest report from Petri, citing unnamed insider sources, Windows 10 has surpassed 100 million installations in its first two months on the market; a significant milestone for Microsoft and the new operating system.

The rise to 100 million installs has been reasonably quick, with the OS achieving 14 million installs in the first 24 hours, 53 million installs in just over two weeks, and 75 million installs in less than a month. The reception from the general public has been far better for Windows 10 than Windows 8.1, which has helped Microsoft achieve so many installs in such a short time.

The other aspect of Windows 10 that has led to a quick rise is its free upgrade path for users coming from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. By removing the cost to upgrade, users have no reason to avoid upgrading and trying out what Microsoft has to offer in Windows 10, especially those still clinging on to the 6-year-old Windows 7.

Microsoft's long-term aim for Windows 10 is to achieve one billion installs in the next three years. Considering we've seen 100 million installs in two months, Microsoft is well on its way to achieving this goal, especially with the launches of Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 for Xbox One still to come.

In the meantime, Microsoft will launch a collection of new hardware, including the Surface Pro 4 and new Lumia smartphones, at an event next week. When these new devices hit the market, they're sure to increase sales of Windows 10 products.

Permalink to story.

Key word here is installs. I installed it, my friend installed it, neither ended up with it.

Windows 10 just doesn't offer anything that cannot be had windows 10. To me Nadella seems just as conceded as Ballmer, only this time Nadella wants to force the cloud down our throats.

Key word here is installs. I installed it, my friend installed it, neither ended up with it.

Windows 10 just doesn't offer anything that cannot be had windows 10. To me Nadella seems just as conceded as Ballmer, only this time Nadella wants to force the cloud down our throats.
depends on what you use it on and what you use it for.
for example, if you have a laptop, then installing win 10 will help you a lot with battery life and other small or large performance improvements. or if you are an developer then using the new command prompt window is much easier. you also get access to the new developer tools.

if you are just a casual PC guy that likes to watch youtube videos and play games then you can stay on win 7 without having to worry about anything. (that's until you start seeing more and more dx12 titles - it should take about a year or 2 max)

PS: I would assume that installs are actually active accounts. very few that upgrade bother to downgrade (that's if they know how). and they have quite a lot of people using the beta builds (like I am now).

Last edited:
Yeah... how many of those installs resulted from the nagware microsoft installed on all the win 7 and 8 machines? Popups are not cool. I would've upgraded already if it wasn't for the nagware.

Installed it on my desktop, notebook and tablet. only problem is a few hardware drivers are incompatible with 10 despite being fully compatible with either 7 or 8.1 but I can't complain since it's a free upgrade. remember myself paying $15 for a "Windows 8 upgrade from 7" offer three years ago. if I were to know I will get windows 10 in the end, I would probably keep that 15 bucks.

depends on what you use it on and what you use it for.
for example, if you have a laptop, then installing win 10 will help you a lot with battery life and other small or large performance improvements. or if you are an developer then using the new command prompt window is much easier. you also get access to the new developer tools.

if you are just a casual PC guy that likes to watch youtube videos and play games then you can stay on win 7 without having to worry about anything. (that's until you start seeing more and more dx12 titles - it should take about a year or 2 max)

PS: I would assume that installs are actually active accounts. very few that upgrade bother to downgrade (that's if they know how). and they have quite a lot of people using the beta builds (like I am now).

Maybe out of the box but with registry tweaks one can get pretty good power efficiency with 7. I also don't have to worry about wasting battery on forced updates on Microsoft phoning home all the time.

I fail to see how the new command prompt effect devs to any degree. If I'm a visual basic or C++ programmer, I'm not using anything built into windows. Some tech enthusiasts and amateur IT support are really the only one's who are going to use command prompt. Larger organizations already have software solutions. All this without mentioning that there have long been command prompt replacements that do a better job.

It's going to be longer than a year or 2 before studio's are actually able to bring decent DX12 to the table. The new fable game benchmark tells me we are far from anything special. It's not like DX12 hardware is completely saturated in the market either. DX12 is only a "feature" of windows 10 because microsoft made it that way. It's really sad when you have to force customers into a "side-grade" of an OS.

Good luck with those beta builds. Regular windows updates brick enough computers so I cannot imagine that being a favorable position. In the end, all the advantages you listed are contentious at best. I can tell you what's not though, Windows 10 has horrible privacy and even worse license management.

Wonders how many pirates they have caught :p and I still wish there were an E edition, so we could get rid of that crappy ie and edge(ie)... when edge crashes, it comes with internet explorer stopped working box, so edge is ie :p

" still clinging on to the 6-year-old Windows 7." Up yours
I see your "Up yours", and raise you a "Bugger off"! Seriously, stay on 7 if that lets you sleep at night. So why the profanity?

By removing the cost to upgrade, users have no reason to avoid upgrading
I have plenty of reasons, it is not my fault you don't acknowledge any of them.
True, but if any of them were relevant*, perhaps they might have taken you more seriously...

*I know I'll get burned for that one :p

I feel like one of the few people that hasn't had any issues with Windows 10
You most certainly aren't, but you weren't looking for things to dislike, or find fault with beyond the teething problems of a new OS.

Last edited:
TBH I never had any issues with Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10... yet. I really don't mind it but 7 has always been my favorite. Must be the nice, clean, sensible layout, stability and Aeroglass that tickled my fancy.
8, 8.1 & 10 don't look particularly attractive to me but I couldn't care less, just as long as it gets the job done properly.
People are complaining 10 is invasive, there's no privacy but things are not going to get any better, in fact subsequent releases will probably be even more invasive... and they'll be forced to one of these days. Once you get used to the fact that the whole word knows how often you pick your nose, upgrading won't be too bad.

I see your "Up yours", and raise you a "Bugger off"! Seriously, stay on 7 if that lets you sleep at night. So why the profanity?

True, but if any of them were relevant*, perhaps they might have taken you more seriously...

*I know I'll get burned for that one :p

You most certainly aren't, but you weren't looking for things to dislike, or find fault with beyond the teething problems of a new OS.

How long did you wait in line for your iPhone 15A?

TBH I never had any issues with Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10... yet. I really don't mind it but 7 has always been my favorite. Must be the nice, clean, sensible layout, stability and Aeroglass that tickled my fancy.
8, 8.1 & 10 don't look particularly attractive to me but I couldn't care less, just as long as it gets the job done properly.
People are complaining 10 is invasive, there's no privacy but things are not going to get any better, in fact subsequent releases will probably be even more invasive... and they'll be forced to one of these days. Once you get used to the fact that the whole word knows how often you pick your nose, upgrading won't be too bad.

I still think 7 is great, what really attracted me to 10 was the hololens. Which apparently still has a long time till it's released.

Maybe out of the box but with registry tweaks one can get pretty good power efficiency with 7. I also don't have to worry about wasting battery on forced updates on Microsoft phoning home all the time.

I fail to see how the new command prompt effect devs to any degree. If I'm a visual basic or C++ programmer, I'm not using anything built into windows. Some tech enthusiasts and amateur IT support are really the only one's who are going to use command prompt. Larger organizations already have software solutions. All this without mentioning that there have long been command prompt replacements that do a better job.

It's going to be longer than a year or 2 before studio's are actually able to bring decent DX12 to the table. The new fable game benchmark tells me we are far from anything special. It's not like DX12 hardware is completely saturated in the market either. DX12 is only a "feature" of windows 10 because microsoft made it that way. It's really sad when you have to force customers into a "side-grade" of an OS.

Good luck with those beta builds. Regular windows updates brick enough computers so I cannot imagine that being a favorable position. In the end, all the advantages you listed are contentious at best. I can tell you what's not though, Windows 10 has horrible privacy and even worse license management.
That is false. Even large corporations use maven or ant for creating builds. Many devs prefer using command prompt commands because the builds tend to be more compatible with multiple versions of software and adds dependencies correctly.
Visual Basic? C++? You are out of touch of what's used in the industry. It's JAVA, all big corporations use JAVA. Anything else is just for small sideprojects. 90% of current large frameworks, software, applications, etc use JAVA.

As for dx12, we will have multiple games next year that will support it.

I've seen so many paranoid people talking about the "privacy", but didn't actually read the text (it's essentially extremely similar to your smartphone) or did a simple network test. They don't even want to see how the privacy settings work. They continue to use smartphones and facebook, but hate MS. They like to act like a herd of sheep. It's what I call ignorant hypocrites. "Oh no! MS is phoning home to tell it's server that I clicked a button on cortana! The Horror!! They'll think I'm a pervert for toying with her buttons!"
I find is so very funny. You want better privacy? Then I suggest you try to never use the internet. Good luck with that.

Yeah... how many of those installs resulted from the nagware microsoft installed on all the win 7 and 8 machines? Popups are not cool. I would've upgraded already if it wasn't for the nagware.
You would have upgraded, *IF* they hadn't told you to upgrade?? That's showing them ;)

Average user would have no idea about the free upgrade if not for that, and any real user can deactivate that as easy as pie, so I for one support the pop up. But that's just me

That is false. Even large corporations use maven or ant for creating builds. Many devs prefer using command prompt commands because the builds tend to be more compatible with multiple versions of software and adds dependencies correctly.
Visual Basic? C++? You are out of touch of what's used in the industry. It's JAVA, all big corporations use JAVA. Anything else is just for small sideprojects. 90% of current large frameworks, software, applications, etc use JAVA.

As for dx12, we will have multiple games next year that will support it.

I've seen so many paranoid people talking about the "privacy", but didn't actually read the text (it's essentially extremely similar to your smartphone) or did a simple network test. They don't even want to see how the privacy settings work. They continue to use smartphones and facebook, but hate MS. They like to act like a herd of sheep. It's what I call ignorant hypocrites. "Oh no! MS is phoning home to tell it's server that I clicked a button on cortana! The Horror!! They'll think I'm a pervert for toying with her buttons!"
I find is so very funny. You want better privacy? Then I suggest you try to never use the internet. Good luck with that.

Last time I chekced, game engines are C++, the majority of programs are C++. If you can prove otherwise I would like to hear and/or see it.

Just having a DX12 game doesn't mean much. If the Fable Legend benchmark results are anything to go by, it doesn't really do anything so far.

People could avoid using the internet or they could fight for their rights. I don't have a smartphone or use facebook myself but there's nothing wrong with criticizing microsoft. Windows isn't a product that needs to be sending all this information and you don't expect it to do that. People though that had a bit of privacy when on their home desktop. Smartphones and Facebooks have an excuse (albeit weak at times), what's Microsoft's for windows 10?

so let me get this straight... you think Linux helps you with privacy? What about google, facebook and your smartphone (plus many others)? Why do you even care that MS thinks every device is a mobile device now? I prefer to be cynical than to be ignorant. And depending on the distro you use, linux also gathers data.

You don't like advanced services that make your life easier? Then stop complaining and just use win 7. You gave the same data to others while smiling because of how cool the services they provided were and now you just jumped the hate train for win 10. Hypocrisy can be called a mental illness when taken to far.
Why do you assume so much but know so little?
First off I use Tails linux distro it is designed for anonymity. By default it uses Tor network to anonymise all internet traffic. Tails wipes all traces of your activity from the disk and uses top-of-the-line cryptographic tools to encrypt all files, emails and instant messaging. The latest release ships to camouflageand make it resemble windows 8. I only use Facebook with dummy accounts. Just tell us your a Microsoft fanboy and be done with it.

Last time I chekced, game engines are C++, the majority of programs are C++. If you can prove otherwise I would like to hear and/or see it.

Just having a DX12 game doesn't mean much. If the Fable Legend benchmark results are anything to go by, it doesn't really do anything so far.

People could avoid using the internet or they could fight for their rights. I don't have a smartphone or use facebook myself but there's nothing wrong with criticizing microsoft. Windows isn't a product that needs to be sending all this information and you don't expect it to do that. People though that had a bit of privacy when on their home desktop. Smartphones and Facebooks have an excuse (albeit weak at times), what's Microsoft's for windows 10?
like I said before, JAVA is the leading programming language. Games are just a small fraction of the IT industry.
All of your bank software? it's java, All of your business oriented frameworks? It's java. All of the major business applications? it's java.
Java is widely used in academic environments, open source and in startup businesses it rules.
Don't confuse games with serious business where performance is not the focus. Please don't make statements based on "internet comments" knowledge. I didn't study for years C, C++, Java and many other programming languages (including most SQL languages, and web languages like javascript, php, html5, etc) just so that a gamer will tell me which one is better and which one is used more.

Want to know how a real large web application/site is made? Then try looking into things like Liferay and other portlet based solutions.

PS: MS excuse is that it was falling into irrelevance on the consumer market with laptops and PCs being replaced by tablets and smarphones with android and IOS. the ironic thing is that MS is being criticised of doing the same thing that the others were praised for. Apps that learn about you and give you results based on those findings? MS did wrong. Apps that use your location to provide you with better results? MS did wrong. Apps that did x thing? MS did wrong
I could continue but explaining it to someone who doesn't use a smartphone would be too hard and time consuming.

Last edited:
First off I use Tails linux distro it is designed for anonymity. By default it uses Tor network to anonymise all internet traffic. Tails wipes all traces of your activity from the disk and uses top-of-the-line cryptographic tools to encrypt all files, emails and instant messaging. The latest release ships to camouflageand make it resemble windows 8. I only use Facebook with dummy accounts. Just tell us your a Microsoft fanboy and be done with it.
the only ones that need to go that far are mentally ill people or people that have something illegal to hide. you need help and I'm being serious here. I don't like insulting people, but sometimes it's needed to make the other guy realise that he has a problem.

if you wanted privacy, then you could do what I do. limit the number of pictures or posts you put on facebook or use only the apps you need on your phone. it's what a normal person does. and you are forgetting that there are 100 other linux distros that don't focus on excessive privacy.

PS: tor is a lot less secure than you might think.

Last edited:
so let me get this straight... you think Linux helps you with privacy? What about google, facebook and your smartphone (plus many others)? Why do you even care that MS thinks every device is a mobile device now? I prefer to be cynical than to be ignorant. And depending on the distro you use, linux also gathers data.

You don't like advanced services that make your life easier? Then stop complaining and just use win 7. You gave the same data to others while smiling because of how cool the services they provided were and now you just jumped the hate train for win 10. Hypocrisy can be called a mental illness when taken to far.

I could add something about Tor but don't want to ruin your day. Ah well.

Back