Windows 10 Tech Preview: Over 1.5 million testers, 450k "highly active"

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Microsoft has published an update on its Windows Insider Program, which allows you to experience the latest Windows 10 preview builds once out, revealing that as of December more than 1.5 million registered users are participating in it. Roughly 450k of those are what Microsoft considers “highly active”, meaning they are using the latest build of Windows 10 on a daily basis, “putting it through its paces,” as the company says.

“We continue to be humbled by all the feedback we’re getting from the Windows Insider Program,” the software giant said in its blog post.

Microsoft also notes that Windows Insiders are using Windows 10 preview builds more actively than those in preview/beta programs for any prior release of the operating system. The company is excited to see this especially because it’s giving them a chance to fix all the rough edges and bugs.

As an example, Microsoft cited a bug that allowed the OneDrive icon in File Explorer to be replaced by the Outlook icon, something the company says “would have been really tricky to catch with test automation or by other means.” While this is a fairly innocuous problem, the company says it has fixed almost 1,300 other bugs reported by Insiders, and has also made changes to the UX or features based on users’ suggestions.

The update comes just a week after Microsoft announced that it is holding a special Windows 10 event in Redmond, Washington on January 21st.

Permalink to story.

"“We continue to be humbled by all the feedback we’re getting from the Windows Insider Program,” the software giant said in its blog post."

Probably because so many people know what kind of cr@p Win8 is and need to be sure the broken OS is being fixed in Win10 before they hope on board.

"“We continue to be humbled by all the feedback we’re getting from the Windows Insider Program,” the software giant said in its blog post."

Probably because so many people know what kind of cr@p Win8 is and need to be sure the broken OS is being fixed in Win10 before they hope on board.

Look, I know everyone is pissed off about the lack of a start menu in W8, but it is a solid operating system. It's great on resources and is very stable. Has everyone forgotten ME and Vista already?

I see all these "enthusiasts" who spend hours building their own computers but don't want to take 5 minutes to install a program that adds a start menu. Granted, I prefer windows 7 over 8, but saying that W8 is **** is like polishing your ignorance just so you can blind people with it when the sun hits.

I see all these "enthusiasts" who spend hours building their own computers but don't want to take 5 minutes to install a program that adds a start menu.
I've replaced 90% of the Bloat that MS bundles in their OS, so why am I asked to pay 100%? How much more should we "enthusiasts" be asked to replaced, before we start getting credit for the **** we don't use? And when it is all said and done, we don't like what we are looking at.

Long live Windows 7!

I've replaced 90% of the Bloat that MS bundles in their OS, so why am I asked to pay 100%?
Because that's what it comes with, and if you didn't like it, why did you buy it? Or, did you in fact buy it and not pirate it? Considering the former, your complaint is akin to demanding a car company strip out the car seats, gear lever and steering wheel simply because you can replace it with after market 3rd party components that are more to your liking, all the while demanding a discount for the parts you don't want. If that's not overly presumptuous or downright short sighted, not to mention that overly entitled persona of yours, then I don't know what is. Microsoft has to do nothing for the likes of you or for any minorities using its software, just like any other company, unless they feel its in the best interest of all of their market share if they do so. You constantly complain that they do things that makes no sense. Don't you think they as a company spend far more money than you or I will see in our lifetimes finding out what people really want? ITs only the minorities that are the most vocal. If you fail to see this then you simply come off as a whiny brat. I'm sure many on this site will have an issue with what I said but it still remains the truth.

yRaz, there are a few outrageous things I despise about Win8 (and Win8.1 if some think it's different).
1. Can't easily install the OS without a Microsoft e-mail account. yeah...WTF is that all about. Yeah, it's a complete deal-breaker for me on it's own.
but wait..there's more...
2. Where is the Control Panel? Yeah, I know after some serious searching you'll find a back-end way to get into it and then create a shortcut on your desktop.
3. where are things like Windows Update? again...for those who are savvy enough and know the back-end way to get to it. btw, it's through the Control Panel for those that don't know.
4. you know yRaz, 3 glaring reasons is enough; although I could continue.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what kind of great things are "under the hood" of the OS, if the UI is sh!t, than the entire OS is just sh!t since you can't use it freely.

yRaz, there are a few outrageous things I despise about Win8 (and Win8.1 if some think it's different).
1. Can't easily install the OS without a Microsoft e-mail account. yeah...WTF is that all about. Yeah, it's a complete deal-breaker for me on it's own.
2. Where is the Control Panel? Yeah, I know after some serious searching you'll find a back-end way to get into it and then create a shortcut on your desktop.
3. where are things like Windows Update? again...for those who are savvy enough and know the back-end way to get to it. btw, it's through the Control Panel for those that don't know.
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what kind of great things are "under the hood" of the OS, if the UI is sh!t, than the entire OS is just sh!t since you can't use it freely.
Control Panel? Whats so hard about right clicking on the start button on the task bar and then clicking control panel (Windows 8.1)? Even Windows 8 had the option of right clicking the "hot corner" to achieve the same result. Granted there would be a minor learning curve to get used to that, even tech un-savvy users would master that in no time, but I must ask. If a user is not able to figure out where the control panel is, don't you think they would either not need to know where it is anyway at that knowledge level, or simply search for it as per windows 7? Its a slightly new UI, but its hardly something to get your boxers in a bunch about. It takes but mere minutes to get used to the UI so none of what you mentioned above is actually a valid concern. As per anything anyone has ever had seemingly unsolvable problems about, there is the internet to get answers from. So there you have it, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. Please try again...

Control Panel? Whats so hard about right clicking on the start button on the task bar and then clicking control panel (Windows 8.1)? Even Windows 8 had the option of right clicking the "hot corner" to achieve the same result. Granted there would be a minor learning curve to get used to that, even tech un-savvy users would master that in no time, but I must ask. If a user is not able to figure out where the control panel is, don't you think they would either not need to know where it is anyway at that knowledge level, or simply search for it as per windows 7? Its a slightly new UI, but its hardly something to get your boxers in a bunch about. It takes but mere minutes to get used to the UI so none of what you mentioned above is actually a valid concern. As per anything anyone has ever had seemingly unsolvable problems about, there is the internet to get answers from. So there you have it, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. Please try again...

I guess you didn't get the memo. Windows 8+ market share sucks some rosy red titty. Microsoft has internally realized that Windows 8 was and is a failure. Hence, the jump in the release name of Windows 8 all the way over to Windows 10. Completely illogical but necessary in the pathetic hopes that distancing itself by name, in addition to many other improvements for "normal people" will be enough to put off a second disaster like Windows 8 when it is finally released. Hence, the very reason the insider program exists at all in the Windows 10 technical preview. Do you think that was put in for kicks and giggles? No, there is a reason that it exists. Because they can't afford another catastrophic failure like the release of Windows 8 has been. There is a reason the start menu is back in Windows 10. Because you can't *#&% half of your loyal customer base and get away with it by producing #*#^ like Windows 8 which was first and foremost a tablet operating system masquerading as a desktop operating system.

Windows 8+ flat UI design has been out for 2+ years now and every time I see it I still wanna puke, so the claim that Windows 8+ takes mere minutes to adjust to is complete *#$#*#^#!!!!

The charms bar has been removed in Windows 10 because customers demanded it. The start menu is back because customers demanded it. I love how people say how wonderful Windows 8 is. But I have no doubt in my mind, you'll be one of the first whiny chimps who is currently crying for everyone else to get on the Windows 8 bandwagon to put away their wonderful copy of Windows 8 as soon as Windows 10 is released. You can correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a link to an article that sums up things pretty nicely for anyone who isn't already busy keeping their head in the sand.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-8-why-microsofts-giant-gamble-didnt-pay-off/

Last edited:
I hope MS sees the value of getting an OS in the field before deploying it. It can really be valuable if they exploit it right.

I guess you didn't get the memo. Windows 8+ market share sucks some rosy red titty. Microsoft has internally realized that Windows 8 was and is a failure. Hence, the jump in the release name of Windows 8 all the way over to Windows 10. Completely illogical but necessary in the pathetic hopes that distancing itself by name, in addition to many other improvements for "normal people" will be enough to put off a second disaster like Windows 8 when it is finally released. Hence, the very reason the insider program exists at all in the Windows 10 technical preview. Do you think that was put in for kicks and giggles? No, there is a reason that it exists. Because they can't afford another catastrophic failure like the release of Windows 8 has been. There is a reason the start menu is back in Windows 10. Because you can't *#&% half of your loyal customer base and get away with it by producing #*#^ like Windows 8 which was first and foremost a tablet operating system masquerading as a desktop operating system.

Windows 8+ flat UI design has been out for 2+ years now and every time I see it I still wanna puke, so the claim that Windows 8+ takes mere minutes to adjust to is complete *#$#*#^#!!!!

The charms bar has been removed in Windows 10 because customers demanded it. The start menu is back because customers demanded it. I love how people say how wonderful Windows 8 is. But I have no doubt in my mind, you'll be one of the first whiny chimps who is currently crying for everyone else to get on the Windows 8 bandwagon to put away their wonderful copy of Windows 8 as soon as Windows 10 is released. You can correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a link to an article that sums up things pretty nicely for anyone who isn't already busy keeping their head in the sand.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-8-why-microsofts-giant-gamble-didnt-pay-off/
You do know W8/.1 has more share than XP

You do know W8/.1 has more share than XP

They are so close right now but that's just a red herring comment. Who cares about the ratio of Windows 8.1 to Windows XP. That operating system is ancient. What's the marketshare of Windows 7 to Windows 8.1? That's my question for you.

On second thought what does that tell us about Windows 8.1? It's got the same marketshare(give or take a few copies) as an operating system that is 13+ years old and it is Microsofts crowning achievement, right? LOL.

If that isn't a crystal clear message to Microsoft from it's target audience that Windows 8.1 isn't acceptable I don't know what is. But I digress. Microsoft has began to acknowledge the failure that Windows 8 is. It's the loyal fanboys clinging to it for dear life who are not ready to accept this reality.

None the less, as the Windows 8 ship sinks deeper into oblivion I have no doubt they will ALL eventually jump ship without reservation to the newly christened successor. It's just a matter of time now. And it's not measured in decades.

Last edited:

The search function is quite is easy to use in W8/8.1. ALL of the problems that people have with windows 8 can be fixed in 30 minutes and a little googling. What I consider stupid is someone having a computer with that OS for months or years and NOT fixing any of those problems themselves. I'm going to assume that just about everyone on techspot is a power user. We can fix any of those problems easily.

For the everyday user who wants to play facebook games and check email, W8 is extremely easy to use and runs very well on low end hardware.

I am completely understanding of not liking the cosmetic aspects of W8, but in the time I've spent arguing in this thread I could fixed and changed all of them.

The email portion I can sort of understand, but it's not any different than a needing an Apple ID to use your Mac or a Gmail to use your android phone.

Windows 8.1 is damn great.

I'm one of those Windows Insiders, though I probably don't count as "highly active". I dual boot 7 and 10T.P. I must say that MS is at least seemingly listening to "our" feedback. Well, mostly anyway.Seems like there ARE some things written in stone about 10. The Technical Preview itself is .....impressive. Goes a looooong way towards fixing/modifying the deficits of 8/8.1. Having said THAT ..... I doubt very seriously if I'll be getting it.

I think the reason for such high participation with T.P.10, is the debacle that was 8/8.1. Granted 8.1 remedied many of 8's problems but I think 8 itself kind of damaged the brand as they say.

They are so close right now but that's just a red herring comment. Who cares about the ratio of Windows 8.1 to Windows XP. That operating system is ancient. What's the marketshare of Windows 7 to Windows 8.1? That's my question for you.
Who cares? Window's 8 share isn't small because Windows 8 is bad, it's small because windows 7 was so good. If you're running a business who has a few dozen (or hundred, or thousand) computers running windows 7, what does it get you to upgrade? Not much, there's not a huge benefit just a huge cost, both in learning curve/training and testing/licensing.

The point of Win 8 wasn't to replace 7 (MUCH harder than 7 replacing Vista), the point of Win 8 was to get their cute tiles front and center and to provide a unique experience between the PC, Surface, and Phone. MS never expected Win 8 to sell like Win 7. Businesses follow the old rule 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and Windows 7 isnt' broken. That means the upgrade to Windows 8 fails the cost/benefit analysis harder than Johnny Manziel trying to throw a pass.

Win 8 is a transition OS to setup MS for the future and for mobile.

Window's 8 share isn't small because Windows 8 is bad, it's small because windows 7 was so good.

You just admitting that Win8 is worse than Win7.

MS never expected Win 8 to sell like Win 7.

I guess creating a product with the expectation of it not to do well in the market, is the new corporate way?
MilwaukeeMike, I don't think that's an accurate assessment.

You just admitting that Win8 is worse than Win7.

I guess creating a product with the expectation of it not to do well in the market, is the new corporate way?
MilwaukeeMike, I don't think that's an accurate assessment.

It's not that Win 8 is worse than Win 7, it just doesn't offer enough benefit for businesses to upgrade. I'll try to explain a different way using a smartphone. Pretend you run a company and every salesperson needs an iPad to do their job. It'll cost you $1million to replace everyone's iPads, do you do it? Well, that depends, are you spending that million to upgrade from the iPad Air to the Air 2? or are you upgrading from the iPad 1 which barely work and have no 4G to the Air 2? The cost of the new iPads is the same regardless of what you already have, but the cost is only justifiable if it's a HUGE upgrade, not a minor one.
This is the case with Win 7 and 8 for businesses. Where I work we went from Win 95 to XP and XP to 7. We knew we weren't going to Win 8 long before anyone ever saw it. It doesn't matter how good Win 8 is, Win 7 was getting the job done just fine.

And is creating a product with the expectation of it to not do well the new corporate way? No, it's been done for years and years. Sales aren't the only measure. Does the product move your brand forward? Does it create a presence for your company? Perhaps keep out the competition?
MS saw that there was no consistent OS between mobile and PC. Why can't your phone run programs, why doesn't your PC run apps? So they came up with Windows 8, which will look the same on any size device and they came out with the Surface to show it to everyone. We can argue whether 'one OS to rule them all' is a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure MS knew Win 8 would not be a blockbuster.

MilwaukeeMike, just leave it, he isn't interested in discussing the pros and cons to users in different markets. I can respect the opinion that someone doesn't like the operating system, but what the end users feels is a good operating system is so subjective that it makes discussing which is better pointless. W7 might be a better operating system for more people, but there are many people who use and enjoy W8.

It's the same thing as Xbox VS playstation, Mac vs PC. They're all solid and reliable systems and the only thing that makes one better than the other is personal preference.

That's right, keep telling yourself those preferences couldn't exist in future releases.
There will always be preferences, but there is a wide range of products to meet those preferences. Nothing is stopping people who prefer windows 7 from using it and there is nothing stopping people who prefer windows 8 from using it.

Back