Windows 7 64-bit crashing at first when playing Skyrim, then randomly

Hi all,

My computer used to crash alot when playing skyrim. This stopped recently when I changed my drivers. However, the BSOD started again recently. I do not know the reason behind this, as I am still using the same drivers that I thought fixed the problem. Is it software related (mods, glitches, etc.) or hardware related? The last BSOD happened to me while I was NOT playing skyrim and was just on steam... I have posted the 5 .dmp files attached in a ZIP format here. The most recent one is the steam BSOD while the others are all Skyrim BSOD

Thank you

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
System Specs

By the way, I have an

Athlon II x2 260 Processor @3.20ghz
Radeon HD 5670
WD5000AAKX-753CA1 ATA Hard Drive
4GB of Kingston Memory
Corsair 450W PSU
MSI 870-G45 motherboard

Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

* Also, Kingston makes excellent memory but even the best can have failures.

Thank you Route44, I will get back to you after I run the Memtest... was both the steam and skyrim crashes a result of faulty memory?

If you have bad memory it will cause everything and anything to crash. :)

Remember to run this over night and the more Passes beyond 7 the better. I have seen too often no errors occurring the first 7 but later on like the 10th, etc. I speak from not only other people's experiences but my own as well.

Results

Hey all,

I switched my ram slots, restored my system image to a previous version, and then ran the Memtest overnight. I got 10 passes in with 0 errors. I have also not been getting BSOD except for once when there was some disk check problem that I solved using startup repair. I think either changing the RAM slots or restoring my system image solved the problem.

Thanks!

Back