Microsoft hilariously claims Starfield has the "fewest bugs" of any Bethesda game

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Why it's funny: Don't get me wrong. I'm a Bethesda fan, but it's hard to think of a game developer more prone to releasing buggy software. Sure, we have seen some wacky day-one glitch-riddled launches from other studios. Cyberpunk 2077 immediately comes to mind, but Bethesda's track record for buggy releases has entered meme territory.

So it's funny that Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty recently said that Starfield has the "fewest bugs" of any other Bethesda game. The comment came during a Summer Game Fest interview with Giant Bomb on Monday (below).

"Just by the numbers, if it shipped today, [Starfield] would have the fewest bugs in any game Bethesda has ever shipped, and we've got more time to go," Booty said.

Talk about setting easily attainable standards. What's worse is that it's not even the number of bugs that counts. It only takes one to ruin the experience. An avatar going into a T-pose when getting into a car is mostly amusing and only somewhat annoying. However, the game crashing every time the player attempts to get into a car is game-breaking. It's not quantity control, Matt. It's quality control.

It's also the willingness to fix those bugs. Take The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as an example. Skrim launched in 2011 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Since then, the game has gone through various ports to newer hardware, received graphical "upgrades," and has had special editions released at full price. Yet there are still hundreds of known glitches that Bethesda never patched while porting or remastering.

There are so many bugs in Skyrim that the community created a dedicated mod at no cost to Bethesda that fixes many of the vanilla version's glitches. So it's easy to use Bethesda as a whipping post regarding releasing unfinished software, but having fewer bugs than any of its other games is not a good brag.

That said, fewer bugs is always good news, and Xbox boss Phil Spencer said in the same Q&A that Bethesda currently has all QA staff playing the game, looking for new bugs, and attempting to replicate known ones. He also mentioned that Starfield's numerous delays have allowed the team to really dial it in.

"Truth be told, when the acquisition closed [in 2021], this game had a significantly earlier ship date than where we're actually launching," Spencer said, adding that the extra time has improved the game's stability.

Ironically, Bethesda has not released a demo, yet people are already pointing out glitches revealed in related assets. A screenshot posted to Starfield's Steam page, which Bethesda has since deleted, shows an avatar aiming a rifle with its fingers clipping through the gun two inches behind the handgrip (preserved in the tweet above). Of course, this is more amusing than game-breaking.

Starfield launches on PC and Xbox Series consoles on September 6, 2023. And after hyping up its "fewer bugs" condition, Matt Booty better hope that players don't encounter too many problems with it because even a few serious glitches, and Matt will be facing a huge plate of crow come Thanksgiving.

Permalink to story.

In the end, Bethesda's Starfield might end up having less bugs than Microsoft's Windows. Change My mind...
LOL.
No, They are in the same league.

Game is locked at 30 fps on Xbox. Digital foundries saying facial animations are pretty bad as well. If their claim is anything further than what they are boasting, this will turn into a meme that can easily backfire.

Last edited:
"It just works"... at 30 FPS with probably a lot of frametime problems.
In an interview with Todd Howard, he claims the reason they've chosen a 30fps limit on consoles was because they couldn't maintain 60fps reliably enough and with the fidelity they want and the game deserves.

I hope they introduce a 40fps 120Hz VRR mode, When it comes to frametime, 40fps sits right in the middle of 30fps and 60fps and feels MUCH more responsive to me. My only experiences with 40fps mode is on my Steam Deck and PS5 but man, it does make a difference.

In an interview with Todd Howard, he claims the reason they've chosen a 30fps limit on consoles was because they couldn't maintain 60fps reliably enough and with the fidelity they want and the game deserves.

I hope they introduce a 40fps 120Hz VRR mode, When it comes to frametime, 40fps sits right in the middle of 30fps and 60fps and feels MUCH more responsive to me. My only experiences with 40fps mode is on my Steam Deck and PS5 but man, it does make a difference.
I don't believe in fairytales. I doubt they will even have "consistent" 30fps. It's Bathesda.

Do-not-preorder

Wait until some reputable reviewers confirm the new game in question is not a complete unplayable dumpster fire at the least. Still better, do not give them your money until the game is actually done and polished in the manner that we were once used to

I notice the guy in the clip isn't just floating, he's making the appropriate swimming motions with his arms.
Indeed. In fact, I started the clip late. What had happened was a bear attacked the three travelers. I helped the two who were walking kill the bear, but the other guy got scared and ran into the river. When the fight ended, I ran back up to the road and got on my horse to leave. But then I noticed as the other two brave men walked up the embankment, the coward swam out of the river to follow them but just kept swimming. lol

And, turns out MS was right.

Why complain about 30fps?
The games are so horribly optimized today that
even 4090 has limits. Xbox needed a new console long time ago.
I would imagine that they would have to downgrade graphics so much that the game would look like it is from 2010 to run it better.
Or, in perfect world, they would spend extra money and time to squeezy 5-10 more fps with the help of highly paid employees.

And, turns out MS was right.

On PC it is a buggy mess. The fact that it is less buggy than Fallout 76 doesn't say much.

It's just a bad port, buggy and poorly optimised.

Why complain about 30fps?
The games are so horribly optimized today that
even 4090 has limits. Xbox needed a new console long time ago.
I would imagine that they would have to downgrade graphics so much that the game would look like it is from 2010 to run it better.
Or, in perfect world, they would spend extra money and time to squeezy 5-10 more fps with the help of highly paid employees.
The can double the FPS if the game was properly thought out from the beginning. But it seems that "bigger" and "prettier" outweigh "better".

On PC it is a buggy mess. The fact that it is less buggy than Fallout 76 doesn't say much.

It's just a bad port, buggy and poorly optimised.
A "buggy mess" :joy: So far after 4 days the only problem I see is lackluster performance. I can't find anyone with many complaints other than that. And it hasn't even been officially released yet. I have seen many games far more buggy that didn't make the nerd news.
But I haven't tried it on the Series X yet, so I can't comment on that.

I'm thinking you didn't read the links I put up:
"The game’s currently garnering favorable marks among critics, with most shook by how (mostly) bug-free Bethesda’s game surprisingly is." Kotaku.

What bugs have you encountered?

Last edited:
A "buggy mess"? :joy: So far after 4 days the only problem I see is lackluster performance. I can't find anyone with many complaints other than that. And it hasn't even been officially released yet. I have seen many games far more buggy that didn't make the whiny nerd news. Sour grapes? I mean, what bugs have you encountered? And I haven't tried it on the Series X yet, so I can't comment on that.
I don't need you tell me how it works for you when there is now so much video evidence of how broken it is. Are you in denial or something? Are you praising Bathesda for not releasing another Fallout 76?

here's a short fun one from 2kliksphilip (if you want longer videos you can look them up on youtube) :)

I don't need you tell me how it works for you when there is now so much video evidence of how broken it is. Are you in denial or something? Are you praising Bathesda for not releasing another Fallout 76?

here's a short fun one from 2kliksphilip (if you want longer videos you can look them up on youtube) :)
Oh, yeah clipping. What a disaster! Do you realize how rare it is? I myself have not seen any clipping yet but maybe I didnt just run up to, and stay in one spot.
But I have seen many other vids man, I just didn't know you were going to be so anal about a game that hasn't even been released.
I wonder how many of the vids out there are from gamers on Intel ARC GPU's. There is a problem with those. Seriously now how many times have you seen clipping in Starfield?
Looks like a pretty clean example of what I am getting.

Last edited:
Finally had some time to look deeper in to the problem with Intel GPUs and found this:

So anyone with an ARC GPU get the latest driver.
The latest driver set at least helps.

Back