Windows 7 does auto registry update then won't start

hfffoman

My desktop was working fine this morning. It uses windows 7 home professional. I turned it off and back on this afternoon (14 August 2013). During boot it updated 36,000 system registry files, which took about 30 seconds. It then gave me blue screen of death. On rebooting, Windows entered a function to automatically repair startup. After a few seconds this gave me a friendly message to say that it hadn’t worked. Now I get the BSOD during boot.

Can anyone advise what I should do?

Try using Windows restore to return the computer to a condition before the latest updates. Then try updating manually

Restore doesn't work. I don't know why. Studying the diagnostics report it failed a bugcheck test. The corrective operation was to check and restore system files but this operation failed. Startup repair failure message was "offline".

OK, I am trying to repair windows from the original windows disk. I boot from the CD and follow the usual procedure. When I ask it to repair the installation of windows it loads files for a minute then tells me "This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the windows installation you are trying to repair". However, this is the Windows disck that came with the computer. It says Windows 7 Home Premium which is the same message the computer always gave on boot. How can it not be compatible? Is there any way to restore system files without reinstalling windows? All I can do is get to the command prompt.

Back