Windows 7 Install: BSOD with error code 0x0000007E

Status
Not open for further replies.

spk1973

Hello,
I own a Dell Dimension 4700 that had previously been running Linux. I formatted the hard drives using a "live install" CD of Linux and created a 460GB NTFS to install Windows 7.
When I boot from the CD I get to "Windows is loading files" and the Microsoft screen then a blue screen of death:
"A problem has been detected and WIndows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" etc.
The technical info is:
"STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x8BD4D8B8, 0x81365c50, 0x81365830)"

The hard drive is almost brand new, about a month or two old, SATA 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache. On the box, it says that the HD is compatible with Windows 7.

Apart from a new pci wireless card, everything is original hardware.
I have been reading that it may have something to do with incompatible video card/adapters; I don't know anything at all about that.

If I am neglecting to mention any other pertinent info, please let me know.

Much thanks in advance for any help.

-Shawn

"I have been reading that it may have something to do with incompatible video card/adapters"...

Okay... so what are your complete system specs of that Dell 4700? Are you using a separate video card or on-board video? What processor and how much memory is installed?

My Apologies.

I should have done more research before I posted. The Dimension was woefully low on RAM, 256MB. Windows 7 requires at least 1GB. I put a 1GB memory stick in the PC and it installed without incident and runs great.
I am (was) quite ignorant about what I was posting and really should have read the stickies and such provided in this forum. My apologies to those who bothered to read my post, and especially to Tmagic650 for his courteous reply and offer to help. I will try to be more diligent when posting in the future.
Moderators or administrators please consider this thread closed.

Thanks again,
-Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back