Windows 7 networking issues

Hi all,

Hi I was trying to setup a three computer to share file without using windows homegroup and without needing a username and password to connect the PCs together. (2 PC running windows 7 1 running windows XP)

PCs setup I have files on one of the windows 7 PC that I have set of sharing and have connected both of the other PCs but I need to connected to the files I need the admin username and password before I can connect to them, this is what I am trying to solve.

Here is my advanced sharing settings setup:

(home or work) network discovery - ON, file and print sharing - ON, public folder sharing - ON, file sharing connections - 40-56 bit encryption (this is for the windows XP PC), password protection sharing - OFF, HomeGroup connection - recommend.

(Public) network discovery - ON, file and print sharing - ON, public folder sharing - ON, file sharing connections - 40-56 bit encryption (this is for the windows XP PC), password protection sharing - OFF.

And also set it up so that everyone can has access on the share and advanced sharing, but I still asks me every time I try to access a file on for the admin username and password.

Have I set it up wrong or is there something that im missing?

Thanks for reading my post

Sean

Well, I'm on Win/7 Pro 64bit and do not use Homegroup to access my iMac, Win98se file server or 2 variations of Linux.

* 1) of course, all must be in the same WORKGROUP
* 2) XP/Pro SP2 has the LLTP service, but XP/SP1 needs to add it
* 3) There are two forms of sharing:
(a) Public anonymous​
(b) Per User Sharing​
Normal Simple File sharing will create (B) style and the remote will need the user/password for the directory being accessed.

Style (a) needs a special setup to access \\systemName\PublicShares shown here

However, I use style (b) to control who has access to what - - ie: if they don't know the user/password, then NUTS to them - - I can't trust'm.

Thanks for getting back to me.

As it is all PCs are on the same workgroup and the windows xp PC is fully up to date.

I have had the same network setup before using 2 windows 7 PCs and I did not need a admin username and password to access shared files.

It worked like the old set up on windows xp networks e.g. I could fully access all files that were shared without any need for a admin username and password.

Then the XP systems can share still with each other and it's only Win/7 - XP that is the issue.

IF you have Win/7 Pro, then you can use gpedit to set anonymous sharing.

Run > “gpedit.msc”
In “Computer Configuration”/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options:
  • Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation
  • Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users
  • Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares
  • Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts
  • Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares
  • Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously
additionally where a Mac or Linux system needs access: Run> secpol.msc
  • Browsed to "Local Policies" -> "Security Options" changed entry for "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Reboot

Back