Windows 7 old HP drivers not available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried researching this question but couldn't find an answer. I am an old retired guy so please forgive me if I should have been able to find this on my own.

I just got a new 64 bit Windows PC and am trying to install an old HP Laserjet 5N workhorse I have on my home network. The laserjet 5N is not on the list of available drivers and windows reports that it can't find it on the network. HP's driver download site tells me it is available from Microsoft so they don't make it available for download. This is frustrating since I was able to download the same driver for a 32 bit Win 7 netbook a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, after I installed the printer on the netbook, I didn't keep the download and HP no longer makes it available.

Does anyone know where I can get a laserjet 5N driver for Windows 7 -- or heck even for Vista or XP. Alternatively is there some way to pull out an installed driver from the netbook to use on my new PC?

you might try this: (removed link to printer countrry- I am too new to post linksl]

or this: cnet.com/HP-LaserJet-5-5M-5N-Drivers-and-Utilities-for-DOS-Applications/3000-2116_4-10006388.htm
Thanks. I have already checked both spots. The CNET drivers are too old and won't run on my machine. Print Country never sends me an answer -- although they do harvest my email address.

try connecting the printer directly the your computer and see if windows sees it then, if its just on the network windows doesn't "see" the printer to install the drivers.

try connecting the printer directly the your computer and see if windows sees it then, if its just on the network windows doesn't "see" the printer to install the drivers.
Humm, I didn't know that might work. I will have to see about finding whether there are adapters for parallel printer interfaces -- no such thing on the new box.

another thing you could try if that doesn't work: HP has their own style of making drivers called PCL(or printer control language) and the newer drivers are VERY backwards compatible. you might not get some features of the printer ,but its better than not being able to print at all.

another thing you could try if that doesn't work: HP has their own style of making drivers called PCL(or printer control language) and the newer drivers are VERY backwards compatible. you might not get some features of the printer ,but its better than not being able to print at all.
TA DA!!! I selected the oldest looking HP laserjet driver from the available list and the test page prints fine. Thank you very much.

I have two of these old printers that my wife's office excessed. The cartridge on this one still has about 6000 pages left. My wife prints out lengthy legal decisions and briefs - this old beater is much better for that than any of the inexpensive new printers. When this one dies I plan to install the other one. But I think it will outlive the 7 year old linux machine it is attached to.

I find that some 32bit drivers will install if you change properties in compatability mode to XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back