Windows 7 Pro strange desktop behavior after fresh install/Easy Transfer of files from Vista

Hi. I had Vista 32 bit on an elderly Core 2 Duo E4600 machine. I used Vista's Windows Easy Transfer to save files, documents and settings.
Fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit went perfectly. However, as soon as I invoked Easy Transfer to import the files and settings, I have a problem such that desktop settings are no longer remembered by the machine. Quick launch items have disappeared from the taskbar and desktop icons' size and positions are reset after each reboot.
Has anyone any ideas how to overcome this?
Cheers,
Dave

The Quick Launch icons are straight forward. Right click the taskbar and unlock it. The shortcuts are to exec files so from My Computer right click and open the hard drive, C. Double click Program Files and look for the programs you want to have for Quick Launch. Select the launch or exec file, right click and there will be a create shortcut option. You may be able to create the Shortcut from the list of programs that appears when you first click on the Start button. From the desktop you just drag and drop the shortcut into the Quick Launch TaskBar. If the location isn't on the desktop it will be more fiddly. As for the changing of size and position of the desktop items that sounds odd. Right click the desktop and select view. That may give you some options. Sorry, that's not as clear as I'd like but it's a long while since I did this. It's not hard but I've made it sound as if it is.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the reply, bazz2004. Unfortunately I believe it's something more complicated than you suggest. Using Search programs and files - %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, my shortcuts are all there, and if I do as you say, it creates duplicates of each of them. The shortcut icons will then appear on the taskbar until a subsequent reboot, at which point they've disappeared again. Repeat above, and I find triplicates in the Quick Launch folder...and so on. Pinning to/Unpinning from the taskbar seems to make no difference. I'm thinking it must be some setting (perhaps a Registry thing...???) which isn't saving desktop settings upon exit, which seems also to be tied in to the thing about re-sizing or re-positioning desktop icons - no matter what you do, after exit/reboot, they've always returned to a default size and position.
It makes me wonder whether there could be some Registry entry which came from Vista which is incompatible with Windows 7.

If you have your personal files backed up elsewhere you could reinstall Windows 7. Windows Easy Transfer sounds a good idea but it seems likely it messed things up. Vista and Windows 7 are basically very similar. The software is to be used when two computers are connected. Files but not programs are transferable from the old Vista PC to the new Windows 7 machine.

Last edited:
Thanks again, I'm beginning to consider this as a last resort. The only issue I have with that option is with the 200-plus important Windows updates which took ages to download and install...ho hum...!!!

That's life with Windows. You should try a reinstall of XP SP3. That takes even longer. It's best if you don't sit in front of the machine but make periodic checks in case it's waiting for your input. When all is eventually done you could make a few cheap updates to the hardware too. I added more ram and on eBay a faster core 2 duo processor will not cost much.

I missed something important in your initial post. The best version of Windows 7 to install is 32 bit like your original Vista. A 64 bit version would be far more demanding in terms of the hardware so bear that in mind for a reinstall. You might run into driver issues too.

Back