Windows 7 SP1 now being distributed via automatic update

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is rolling out Windows 7 Service Pack 1 as an automatic update starting this week to anyone that hasn’t yet installed the patch. The process is expected to take a couple of weeks at which time most legacy users should be up to date.

Service Pack 1 includes multiple fixes for flaws in addition to delivering several performance and stability tweaks. What’s more, it will be a requirement if you wish to keep getting support for the foreseeable future so really there’s no reason not to install it unless you have a very particular environment that can’t be tampered with or your copy of Windows isn’t genuine.

The move comes less than a month before Microsoft will end support for the original version of Windows 7 on April 9, 2013. Those running SP1 will see mainstream support run through January 13, 2015 with extended support carrying on until January 14, 2020. Under extended support, Microsoft will still issue security updates as usual but there won’t be any other hotfixes, etc.

Alternately, users can elect to download and install Service Pack 1 on their own if one doesn’t want to wait for Microsoft to do it automatically. If you go that route, you’ll need around 1GB or so of free space for 64-bit installations and roughly 750MB for the 32-bit version.

You can check to see if automatic updates are turned on by visiting Start, All Programs, Windows Update. From there, click Change Settings in the left pane to see where you currently sit.

Permalink to story.

I went to the Microsoft download site to get this rollup hotfix. 31 megabytes for 90 hotfixes? What am I missing here. And there were only 6 listed fixes in each file.

SP1 has been available for a long time but I do not believe it was automated. You would actually have to go and manually select the install it else it would just sit there and bypass it.

I'm still awaiting SP2, which I've heard is not coming. I can't believe Microsoft would be so brave, as to not release SP2 for Windows 7.

I'm still awaiting SP2, which I've heard is not coming. I can't believe Microsoft would be so brave, as to not release SP2 for Windows 7.
They are gonna release Windows Blue soon, so it will kinda kill the point. But support till 2020 seems nice enough so I am not complaining.

But support till 2020 seems nice enough so I am not complaining.
8 years of updates without any of them bundled into a service pack, is not very convenient for many people. Microsoft has creating additional server traffic, by not releasing SP2.

I went to the Microsoft download site to get this rollup hotfix. 31 megabytes for 90 hotfixes? What am I missing here. And there were only 6 listed fixes in each file.
The fixes are small in size.

Okay, but how does 6 fixes equate to 90 fixes? Must be if I install all 4 downloads for 4 different products? I still don't get. Just release Windows 7 SP2 already Microsoft. No one wants your Windows 8 catastrophe and purposely not releasing Windows 7 SP2 is not going to get you more sales. Sorry. I just ain't interested in upgrading.

I sure would've liked a SP2 for Windows 7. Maybe they could've integrated some of the decent parts from 8

Windows 7 deserves at least a SP2. With a 2020 support date cut-off, Microsoft will find themselves in an XP situation again unless Windows 9 or X is something very special.

Okay, but how does 6 fixes equate to 90 fixes? Must be if I install all 4 downloads for 4 different products? I still don't get. Just release Windows 7 SP2 already Microsoft. No one wants your Windows 8 catastrophe and purposely not releasing Windows 7 SP2 is not going to get you more sales. Sorry. I just ain't interested in upgrading.
Well if you followed my original link and click on "Hotfixes that are included in this update rollup" there are 90 specific hotfixes listed...
But take care, in many other cases once you drill down to the specific fixes they can often fix multiple issues, case in Point this months security fix for Internet Explorer named KB2809289 actually had 9 fixes, scroll down to the section "Multiple Use After Free Vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer"

I sure would've liked a SP2 for Windows 7. Maybe they could've integrated some of the decent parts from 8
Service packs dont bring new features really, that is the job of a new OS. The task manager and new ribbon UI in Windows Explorer is the only features I would want.

Service packs dont bring new features really, that is the job of a new OS. The task manager and new ribbon UI in Windows Explorer is the only features I would want.

Think about how different XP and XP SP1 were from XP SP2/SP3.

Back