Windows 7 Ultimate Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
First problem is Win/7 is out of service and Autoupdate will never work.

Your only choice is to look for a standalone SP 2 or 3 update elsewhere

Install Windows 10. When you have that running properly install a virtual OS. I run XP in VMware Workstation Player which requires 64 bit Windows 10 - unless you install an early version.

Daniel; I'm glad you got your Win7 re-installed but you still need to visit the motherboard manufacturer or the PC vendor to download drivers. That's why you have the screwly looking screen etc....you need to start the chipset driver and then go from there...then do VGA, Audio, network card(s) etc...

Patch-wise Windows 7 only went to Service Pack 1 (SP1) although there was a convenience rollup that effectively functioned as SP2, but it was never named as such. In terms of Windows Updates. That may or may not work because extended support stopped Jan 2020. Your best bet is to find some of these updates as offline downloads. Perhaps a local computer shop could help there? If you do find them, keep them handy for the next time you need to do a wipe and format.

You should seriously consider not using this rig on the Internet for your day-to-day as you are going to be easily infected again. Microsoft is not fixing any new vulnerabilities anymore. You really should have a 2nd machine with a newer OS on it for browsing.

You should seriously consider not using this rig on the Internet for your day-to-day as you are going to be easily infected again. Microsoft is not fixing any new vulnerabilities anymore. You really should have a 2nd machine with a newer OS on it for browsing.

It's certainly a good suggestion. Most of us probably have more than one computer nowadays. It makes lots of sense as a backup and way of easily running older software. A virtual OS solution would enable you to work with W7 but it can be a daunting prospect. It took me a long while to understand what to do. There is regrettably unsupported great software that just refuses to work directly with the latest Windows OS. In our case it's Microsoft Home Publishing. The wife loves it - it is intuitive compared with Publisher and that's why we maintain XP.

Hey Daniel; If you stay off the Internet than you are good to go. Most of the patches are security related. I was under the impression that you can still activate your Windows 7. You just have to type in the product key that came with your Win7 Ultimate. I would have thought you would have been prompted to put in your key during the install. It has been about 3 or 4 years since I did Win7 installs. It should complete activation eventually. If you have to it might flash a "Call Microsoft for activation" it is all automated so that should go smoothly. You don't need anything else files-wise just the programs you want to re-install. =)

There are cost effective options regarding Windows 10 and VMware software is free for private users.
If you buy a Windows 10 validation key on a well known internet site you get links for a Microsoft download of Windows 10. This works fine and providing you go for a trustworthy seller it's quick, safe and easy. You end up with a genuine copy of Windows.

It's easier than faffing around trying to get discs. In short you could set up Windows 10 then use your Windows 7 disc to install that OS in VMware player. W7 would run like any other software on your computer, first by opening VMWare Player then choosing the W7 or any other OS you had installed within the VMWare shell. It's probably not something you want to do but I'm long retired now and it isn't that difficult if you have had some pointers beforehand. I went in completely clueless (some will certainly say I still am) but have been very happy with the results. Try downloading VMware Workstation Player and have a look at it. Of course, it won't do anything useful until you install an OS inside it but it may pique your interest. Outlay is negligible.
Best of luck and thanks for providing updates.

I understand better now your resistance to change. None of us like to feel that we've been defrauded. Windows 7 is abandoned though not forgotten by many users and I suspect that is the cause of all your woe. Sorry, but once you do get Windows 7 up and running successfully you are likely on a slow count down to future major issues. It's going to become less and less secure and may well give you some warning in future that it's not genuine. Why should Microsoft plough money into supporting an obsolete OS? No way can we hold back time with Windows, iOS or Android. Maybe you've taken the wrong lesson from your recent experiences. Hopefully you won't need to be posting in a couple of years if it all goes pear shaped.

Hey, maybe a different take here. You said you have a linux machine you'd use for internet... whats wrong with putting Windows 7 on that in VMWare or VirtualBox? That way you have what you want, everything is secure, and you don't have to spend money or feel like you lost out. Plus you save money by reducing the power consumption of 2 machines to 1.

[
You’ve received some other good suggestions. How much you pay for Windows 10 is a judgement call but you should end up with the same OS. Nobody has cheated you. Try to remember that Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 for years. That still seems pretty generous to me.

There are no free lunches although you may be in danger of becoming one yourself if you run Windows 7 as your main system. Giving your full name wasn’t a good idea. Beware of phone calls from “Microsoft” ready to help you with activating Windows or offering to process a refund. Amazon Prime subscription renewal is the scam annoying me at present but we’ve had fake Microsoft calls in the past.

A Chromebook where the OS is online and always fully updated looks more suited to you than a Windows PC. Maybe get one for Christmas - if it’s not cancelled. Sorry I can't help with Windows 7.

Thank you all for your help. I am sorry to have taken so much of your time -- and your efforts have been deeply appreciated. Please have a good week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back