Windows 7 will not start: BSOD 0x7e

Hi.

I'm trying to fix a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.

Windows begins to load with the animated logo on the screen, then it blue screens with an 0x7e error.

The info does not list a file, just these parameters:

(0xC0000006, 0x878ED630, 0X8DD1F770, 0x8DD1F350)

So far I've tried the following:

• Boot to Safe Mode - same BSOD
  • Use Windows 7 disk to repair startup problems - Windows could not repair problem
  • Tried several restore points in System Restore but they all failed
  • Run chkdsk /r
  • Run memory test - pass
  • Remove each of the two memory modules and tried one at a time
  • Removed HDD and attached it to another pc. Ran Microsoft Security Essential scan and found several infections. The most severe was Trojan:dOS/Alureon.A which took a few attempts to remove. Apparently it was infecting the MBR. After the removal, I reinstalled the drive but no change.
  • I checked the minidump files, but according to the dates, it seems the current problems are being saved in a much larger file called memory.dmp. I'm not sure what to do with that one. However, there were some issues in the minidumps with a file called ccblvok.sys which sounds like a virus/malware. It has been removed.

So, I feel I'm at a bit of a dead end. I've backed up the Users folder, thinking the only way to fix this is by reinstalling Windows. That is, of course, unless someone can help me!

Cheers

Glenn

Have you tried a Repair/Upgrade install. If so I doubt there is any other choice than to do a clean install.

A bad virus infection can cause a lot of file damage and many infections will multiply and can require many repeated scans to remove them. Then there are some that require expert help to find and remove. We have experts here in the Malware forum which may be worth a go but I would be tempted to just go for a clean install, a low level format on the drive will delete any Malware that is still there.

Hi Mark

I thought of that, but from what I understand, unlike XP, Windows Vista and 7 can only perform a repair install while in Windows. Is that true?

Cheers

Glenn

Yes you are correct but you cannot boot into windows (forgot about that).

This may well do the trick. It's a free antivirus boot disc with quite a few facilities from AVG. You will obviously need another pc to create the disc, then boot your PC with the disc in the drive. Have not used it myself but it recently helped someone else with a similar problem.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=951X49...http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic160478-2.html

If this finds further infections and removes them the OS may then be able to boot up and you can run the Upgrade(repair) install to fix any other damage the Malware has done. If it still wont boot try the MBR repair again. If it still fails to boot a clean install might be your only choice or go to the Malware forum to see if they can help.

EDIT.
I just did a search for information on the Malware you had and found this Microsoft article about repairing the MBR, that may just work after you have checked with the boot disc for any remaining infections.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Back