Windows 8.1 available to pre-order starting at $119

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows pre-order windows 8.1

Microsoft is now accepting pre-orders for Windows 8.1. As you may know, the update is free for those already running Windows 8 but if you’re looking to install the update directly from Windows 7 or on an empty hard drive or solid state drive, you’ll need to fork over $119 for Windows 8.1 and $199 for Windows 8.1 Pro.

Windows 8.1 is the first major update to Microsoft’s current version of Windows that launched last October. It includes a number of new features and fixes including Internet Explorer 11, Bing-powered search, greater personalization, a better Windows Store experience, built-in apps and SkyDrive cloud connectivity.

The Pro version is said to include additional security features as well as the ability to connect to a corporate / school network and host a remote desktop connection.

windows pre-order windows 8.1

As mentioned earlier, Windows 8.1 will be available as a full version software at retail and online for download which doesn’t require a previous version of Windows to be installed. Microsoft said in a recent blog post that this shift allows more flexibility for customers in specific technical scenarios and is in response to feedback they have received.

Microsoft released a preview version of the update during its Build developer conference earlier this year. A full final version was released to manufacturers in August for inclusion on computers ahead of the holiday buying season.

Windows 8.1 is set to launch on October 18 worldwide although if you get technical, it’ll be available first in New Zealand at 12 a.m. local time which is 4 a.m. on October 17 in Redmond.

Permalink to story.

I may have to pick this up if Battlefield 4 performance is in fact a lot better on Windows 8 than Windows 7 (when the full game comes out). What has the world come to!

Why don't you all just buy a PlayStation 4 if your interesting in nothing more than frames per second...why would you actually go out and buy a tablet operating system to play a console video game? If you can't find better ways to get more performance out of your computer than spending $200 for a crappy tablet operating system you need help. That's half the cost of a PS4.

Why don't you all just buy a PlayStation 4 if your interesting in nothing more than frames per second...why would you actually go out and buy a tablet operating system to play a console video game? If you can't find better ways to get more performance out of your computer than spending $200 for a crappy tablet operating system you need help. That's half the cost of a PS4.

Uhm what planet you live on? BF4 is a PC game first ported over to consoles, go see for yourself. The console version looks nothing like the superior PC version. I game at 2560 x 1600 on Windows 7 and it works just fine, don't need some lame 8 messing everything up.

@ lurker101, windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to existing windows 8 users and is a PAID product for new windows OS users.

I have an official copy of windows 8, and aquired the RTM release through "unofficial" channels.
One thing I will say is that its deffinately more refined than 8.0 - one of the annoyances I had in 8.0 was that in the my networks list, it would see other windows 7 pc's, however selecting the pc name would kick up an error... the only way I could connect to another pc's shared resources was to manually navigate via the pcs ip address.

Windows 8.1 fixed this! :)
I also quite like the options to have more control over the metro app size. Furthermore, the search function within metro works better, in that for example searching for "control panel" in 8.0 meant you first had to select settings before it would display - in 8.1 it seems to do an app and settings search without having to click an option

OK, so for a hundred and twenty bucks, does this semi-polished turd give you Media Center, or is that even more money?

So I should have checked? Lol. Take it like a man.
No reason to respond with rudeness. He made an honest mistake and wanted the thread to progress past it.

OT: I fail to see why windows 8.1 means I should buy windows 8 all of a sudden. Microsoft didnt add a start menu, which would have made windows 8 fine in my eyes, for the most part.

Back