Windows 8.1 offers plenty of Metro enhancements, but mostly forgets about the desktop

Rick

Staff

Formerly known as Windows Blue, Windows 8.1 is shaping up to be a sizeable update for Windows 8. However, if Microsoft's blog post is any indication, the service pack-like upgrade remains ostensibly focused on touchscreen users with nearly all of its changes pertaining to Windows 8's Metro user interface.

For users with an aversion to 8's Modern UI, the blog details few improvements exclusively conducive to keyboard and mouse usage: the addition of a start button (the "classic" start menu remains absent, however), configurable hot corners and the ability to "boot into alternate screens". One item not mentioned in the post but found elsewhere indicates that users will finally be able to boot directly to the desktop, rather than be forcibly dumped into the Metro Start Screen upon log on.

Some Start Screen improvements ought to overlap with a better overall desktop experience though. Better Start Screen searching is one such enhancement; Windows 8 will now search for apps, settings and files as opposed to just apps, settings or files. The search also integrates Bing and web searching, which may or may not be a bonus, depending.

Additionally, the Start Screen should appear less jarring to desktop users switching between the two; by default, it now shares the same background as your desktop wallpaper. This may just be a psychovisual trick, but it does provide the illusion of visual continuity -- the Metro Start Screen will no longer appear to cover up the entire desktop but incorporate it to some small degree. The screen will also be more customizable as well, with the addition of more colors and moving backgrounds.

Internet Explorer 11 will also be making its debut in Windows 8.1. Metro IE users will be able to adjust the appearance of IE11 (e.g. always show the address bar) while unlimited tabs and tab syncing are now built-in for your convenience.

Other Metro-ey changes include redesigned Calculator, Music, Store and Photo apps as well as better SkyDrive integration. Also, gone will be the need to fire up Control Panel to change most system configuration settings -- Microsoft says all the options found in Control Panel will now be available under Metro's PC Settings panel. This is a particularly nice addition for tablet users who previously needed to open Control Panel (I.e. dumping them to the desktop) to manage user privileges, change display settings, alter power options or perform a multitude of other system activities.

Permalink to story.

Okay, I guess that's their final answer to desktop users. I hear ya loud and clear now Microsoft. They gave desktop users one answer. The middle finger. No Windows 8 in my future.

I hope their gamble on "tweens" flocking to a desktop pays off. Can't believe they are actually going to **** over enterprise consumers for "tweens".

Good luck to ya Microsoft. The ship has set sail. Look out for the icebergs.

Still not upgrading...

Microsoft,

I'm going to let your in on a little secret... Nearly everyone despises your "Modern UI"! There is a reason why nothing with the "Modern UI" has ever reached 10% market share, its crap, we don't want your app store, we don't need an application launcher that takes over our entire monitors. I don't want my PC to look like a webpage that is overrun with banner ads. Keep it up, its only a matter of time until someone creates a viable alternative then you're done.

Start Button is fine. I think it is time to move away from the classic menu we all know and love.

If you know and love something and it gets the job done better than anything else then why abandon it? We've had steering wheels in cars for 100 years. Should we should switch to using "dash gestures"?

The world constantly moves on, we have to move with it or get left behind. Ditching Win 7 is gonna be like dumping those old comfortable shoes you love so much. I wonder what Win 10 will be like...

If you know and love something and it gets the job done better than anything else then why abandon it? We've had steering wheels in cars for 100 years. Should we should switch to using "dash gestures"?

Drive by wire is the new thing by the way ;). You are one of those people who does not like change, and that is ok. I was just stating my opinion.

So if MS is so focused on Touch, how about fixing touch related bugs -- ever try using apps from the Microsoft Touch pack in Windows 8? When you open up the Surface Globe app, and try to type in the address -- on screen keyboard is nowhere to be found. When you drop into the desktop and open up IE, try to type into the URL bar -- no OSK there either. Can I make the OSK my default keyboard -- I used to in window 7, now in Windows 8 -- every reboot -- it's back to my USB keyboard. Seriously? This stuff used to work in windows 7. If they're trying to make this a touch OS, why is using on a touch enabled PC so frustratingly difficult. I will try this 8.1, but if the results are same buggy nonsense as 8, I will install 7 back on to my TOUCH screen PC. 8 is a schizophrenic mess. Either split the 2 experiences and make them work perfectly, or stick to one experience and perfect that, this half here half here is half backed. I'm not apposed to change, but geez, anyone test this stuff? Really, Windows 8 was supposedly the most tested Windows ever, and this is the garbage MS turned out -- I can keep going with the wonders of Windows touch -- but it just gets too irritating.

No restored Start Menu = Microsoft is lying though their teeth about listening to their customers. If the restored Start Button just takes a user back to Metro, Microsoft has pretty much just spit in the faces of their users and has indicated that it no longer has any real interest in remaining in business, because the outrage that will be engendered by such a move will make the anger triggered by the original Start Menu removal look trivial.

Potential customers are waiting to see if 8.1 shows Microsoft is listening or not. If not, then the current stall out in PC sales will be nothing compared to what's going to occur after a poke-you-in-the-eye-with-a-stick 8.1 is released.

Given what's coming down the pike with 8.1 and Xbox One, Steve Ballmer seems absolutely determined to kill Microsoft.

Not updating I will stick to Win 7 and I f I have to change go Linux, it was nice knowing microsoft, I will move on to anything other than microsoft if I have to move, thank God steam is catching traction on Linux

No restored Start Menu = Microsoft is lying though their teeth about listening to their customers. If the restored Start Button just takes a user back to Metro, Microsoft has pretty much just spit in the faces of their users and has indicated that it no longer has any real interest in remaining in business, because the outrage that will be engendered by such a move will make the anger triggered by the original Start Menu removal look trivial.

Potential customers are waiting to see if 8.1 shows Microsoft is listening or not. If not, then the current stall out in PC sales will be nothing compared to what's going to occur after a poke-you-in-the-eye-with-a-stick 8.1 is released.

Given what's coming down the pike with 8.1 and Xbox One, Steve Ballmer seems absolutely determined to kill Microsoft.

Well you can be sure that you will never see 8.1 running on any enterprise PC without a proper desktop and a start button. It support has enough problems than to deal with users who can't find their icons.

Fortunately I can get my friend to install the update on his laptop before I remove 7 off my PC and waste installing 8 again.

So if MS is so focused on Touch, how about fixing touch related bugs -- ever try using apps from the Microsoft Touch pack in Windows 8?

If the keyboard isn't attached, it should ALWAYS pop up the onscreen keyboard when there is a text cursor, but it does not.

God dam it. Is it that hard to make the Metro UI non-fullscreen for desktop users? We already have some 3rd party software that manage to do that with some limited success. Focusing on touch and ignoring the desktop is just a big mistake.

This will be exactly like Vista. No business will ever want to upgrade to an OS that is plain and simple designed not to work in a business environment. Even though It should be very similar to windows 7 I've found so many driver problems on hardware that isn't even 2-3 years old and so many compatibility problems.

What does this mean? No IT related person will ever recommend the new OS unless it's a tablet or has a touch screen and just want some bling bling. (just go into any store and ask if they recommend windows 8 for a desktop or laptop - 90% of the time they will say no)
Also driver support will be abyssal for older hardware because nobody will want to spend the time and money to support the new OS if no business partner will ask for it. (when I say older I'm talking about 2010-2011)

Okay, I guess that's their final answer to desktop users. I hear ya loud and clear now Microsoft. They gave desktop users one answer. The middle finger. No Windows 8 in my future.

I hope their gamble on "tweens" flocking to a desktop pays off. Can't believe they are actually going to **** over enterprise consumers for "tweens".

Microsoft is just trying to cater to evolving, more promising markets. OBVIOUSLY they can see that the desktop market is dying very slowly, so they need to get in the tablet market NOW before they're out of business for good. You want Microsoft to stop doing this with Windows 8? STOP BUYING SMARTPHONES AND TABLETS AND JUST BUY DESKTOPS. Unless it's a Windows Phone 8 or Windows tablet...

Time to switch to macbooks :D

That'll show microsoft

The only reason they are including boot to Windows screen is because of Enterprise market. MS is a bit like a supertanker. They find it difficult to turn around!

If I had a full sized keyboard with a built-in 5" to 8" touch screen, using the start screen probably wouldn't bother me that bad. At least then I could confine all those ugly color coded squares to a small screen. This would also give touch capabilities, without needing to purchase a larger touch screen monitor.

I think I figured it out - odd numbered releases (Windows 95, Office 97, Windows 7) are geared for consumers. Even numbered releases (NT 4, Windows ME (2000+), Windows 8 are geared to satisfy internal company innovators.

The world constantly moves on, we have to move with it or get left behind. Ditching Win 7 is gonna be like dumping those old comfortable shoes you love so much. I wonder what Win 10 will be like...

Hopefully they utilize the kinect's technology into a webcam to make something like Leap Motion's gesture controls rather than touch screens. Heck, if I were Microsoft, I'd just buy that company. If that technology works, I think most could agree it'd be pretty sick!

https://www.techspot.com/news/52649-leap-motion-shows-off-gesture-controls-in-windows.html#comments

Back