Windows 8 leaked documents hint upcoming functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

It's no secret Microsoft has already started working on a successor to Windows 7 -- a release often referred to as Windows 8. There have been some hints of a release in 2012, and all the usual marketing hype has been thrown around in scattered posts by employees, calling it 'revolutionary' and 'completely different' from past versions of the operating system. But for the most part details have been kept under a tightly closed lid.

Recently some new information has come to light courtesy of leaked documents obtained by Microsoft Enthusiast Francisco Martin, and re-posted by Neowin. Although we can't vouch for its authenticity, the information appears to have been presented at a Microsoft 'Ecosystem Forum' conference back in April, and includes mentions of USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0, as well as facial recognition, stereoscopic 3D, and 'instant on' booting. The latter could be seen as a response to Google's Chrome OS, allowing users to "check e-mail, sports scores, or play media" without any long delays.

Microsoft is also aiming to use sensors in Windows 8 PCs -- HID, accelerometers, proximity sensors -- working on hard drive encryption, adding GPS support to Windows 8 netbooks and laptops via the system motherboard or WWAN module, and putting a strong focus on boot time, shut down time, and battery life. You can read the leaked documents here.

Microsoft appears to be moving full steam ahead now that it finally hit the sweet spot in terms of public reception with Windows 7. Whatever functionality they end up including, we hope they take the same open approach that helped make the current release such a big success, with public betas and release candidate versions available for download. It will still be a while before any of those arrive, though.

Permalink to story.

Well look how long they worked on VISTA... 7 years... and then Windows 7 is actually part of the Work begun for VISTA.
They will put along with what they have until the technology changes from what we now how.
This is a business after all, and everything is wrapped around marketing, and what is available to appeal to potential buyers of 5 ov the seven continents.
First there will be Service Pack 1 which is due anytime... then Service Pack 2... perhaps a SP3, all lined out in marketing years, and what the competition is pushing them to do next.

" calling it 'revolutionary' and 'completely different' from past versions of the operating system."

Geez...like they never said that for any other version release. :p

Windows 8 will be liken to a woman with extensive plastic surgery to make her look better but the insides will be the same.

Expect the same support behavior from the industry , too little improvement to be wasting time supporting it. DirectX will be shadowed in 2 or 3 years , and OpenGL will be a lot better , just a matter of time.

Windows 7 was deemed a revolution too... unless you were one of the 15 people who knew how to make Vista not the "horrid plague" that everyone declared it to be, in which case it was basically a nicer GUI.

Microsoft simply needs to take their time and test at LEAST as much as they develop. If they get a Vista style reception with their next OS it will probably be the end of Microsoft as a major player.

I agree that 2 years is much too soon. With it coming out 2 years after releasing this latest one, that kind of tells me that Win8 is essentially the same thing, only with a few extra features (unless it turns out to be a flop like Vista)...so not worth paying $400 for. I can see Win8 torrents all over the web, lol. Microsoft thought Win7 was torrented bad, just wait for Win8.

I thought that the big deal was that WIndows 8 had Natal/Kinect features that perform commands, etc. with hand gestures using a camera. I have yet to believe it tho if it works like the crap that voice actuated commands worked in vista/xp.

Lol in the same life span as XP we gonna have Vista, 7 and 8! Its all a money grab. How can MS expect any business to Upgrade to 7 if they know 8 is round the corner.

Yep, That'ns a Two Bagger......

Windows 8 will be liken to a woman with extensive plastic surgery to make her look better but the insides will be the same.
@Guest
if the surgeons do a good job, you might still **** her ; )
Hey, who needs surgery, there's nothing a brown paper bag and a vivid imagination can't cure. On second thought, better bring a second bag. (You know, in case her's falls off).

But lest we forget, the topic is Windows 8. About which I have this to say; "good Windows issues, (like alcoholism), seem to skip a generation". With that said, I have my sights set on waiting until Windows 9......!

Let's not forget that before this they released 95, 98, then 2000. The only reason you complain about the proximity of the release dates is you only remember between XP and Vista. There is plenty of history for these time frames. To say it only has to do with money is stupid. Computers change faster than anything else. They are just trying to keep up.

Let's not forget that before this they released 95, 98, then 2000. The only reason you complain about the proximity of the release dates is you only remember between XP and Vista. There is plenty of history for these time frames. To say it only has to do with money is stupid. Computers change faster than anything else. They are just trying to keep up.
Then there's "Windows ME" which you seem to have forgotten. On second thought, perhaps it's better left that way

@mattfrompa I do her and if we get marry and get ugly babies I sue her for every cent she got. :p

Some Thoughts on Severe Inbreeding..,...

@mattfrompa I do her and if we get marry and get ugly babies I sue her for every cent she got. :p
That's sort of like bringing your own banana peel to slip and fall on in front of a bank..

Basically, if you bang a sistey ugler, it's a dead certainty that your girl children won't look like Nicole Kidman.....! Nor for that matter, will the boys look like Brad Pitt.

Ugly children are what happen when your gene pool is a cesspool. Besides, what are you bringing to the table.....?

I'd be honored if you named a boy, "captaincranky", or if it's a girl, name her "captaincranky' anyway.

Just to stay on topic, "hey, how about that Windows 8"?

It's been known for some time now that Windows 8 / 64-OS only was coming soon and followed by Window 9 128-bit. Still I don't know how they're going to do with so many 32-bit OS users out there so few 64-bit OS users and then there isn't that much 64-bit OS applications, Browsers to use these extra pipes. If you buy a new system or laptop you can rest assured it will support 64-bit OS.

Oops

Oops... Microsoft confirmed the next version of Windows, codenamed Windows 8 in a Knowledge Base article. The confirmation has been removed. I think the next version of Windows will release as Windows Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back