Windows 8 Metro apps will be Windows Store exclusive

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has all but confirmed that the Windows Store will be the only place to get Metro-style apps for Windows 8. The company says a centralized distribution will allow better discoverability, easier enforcement of software trials, and the facilitation of in-app purchases. Much like Apple's App Store or its own Windows Phone Marketplace, Microsoft would get a 30% cut of every sale through the Windows Store and will take it upon itself to test each submitted application.

That should give end users a one-stop location for software that they can trust but it's a departure of how things have traditionally worked on the platform. For what it's worth, traditional desktop applications on Windows 8 will continue to be available through the usual channels, such as the developer's website, a downloads portal, physical media and so on. In addition, the Windows Store will also have a "free listing service" for non-Metro Windows apps.

Developers would pay a nominal yearly fee to upload Metro apps to the Windows Store, including trial versions of their software. Microsoft will be offering a 5 PC license activation for customers who purchase applications from its store.

Enterprise customers and developers will be able to side-load Metro apps (I.e. download and install independently of the Windows Store) for testing purposes or deploying across many computers.

Microsoft hasn't officially disclosed these terms but it accidentally revealed them when its "Primer for current Windows developers" went live. That online document has since been updated to remove the revenue share structure of the Windows Store, and though it indicated that all details were preliminary and subject to change, it suggests Microsoft will be treating distribution of Metro apps the same way it treats Windows Phone 7 apps for mobile devices.

Permalink to story.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. If Metro is never used on the desktop then I won't mind because it seems more appropriate that these types of app stores are on the tablet form factor. But the activation limit? What the hell is that about? I'm looking forward to Windows 8 but right now it looks like I'll be staying desktop-exclusive in Windows 8.

So now you have a potential customer (small company) who wants aan app with Metro interface for a company. You just paid lots of US$ to buy Visual Studio. Then your customer must buy it trough trom you through App store and MS gets 30% unless your customer pays a lot of $$$ as an enterprise customer from Microsoft.". These kind of greedy business practices kill the creativty of entrepreneural developers and freelance developers.

well once again microsoft is ignoring common sense.
they don't understand that Apple is Apple, and they are peaches.
what is wrong with tech companies going on a backward trend.

Aw, HELL no!

If I wanted a walled garden I'd shove a screwdriver up my nose, wiggle it around and buy a Mac.

I stopped downloading Windows because I did not want to mess around with all the workarounds and crap, now I'm going to have to jailbreak my Windows? Seriously?

If I'm going to have to engage in various shenanigans to bypass this kind of junk, then I'm probably going to go full boat and just engage in those shenanigans period. And I probably won't be the only one.

You want to lose my business MS? Keep it up.

gwailo247 said:
Aw, HELL no!

If I wanted a walled garden I'd shove a screwdriver up my nose, wiggle it around and buy a Mac.

I stopped downloading Windows because I did not want to mess around with all the workarounds and crap, now I'm going to have to jailbreak my Windows? Seriously?

If I'm going to have to engage in various shenanigans to bypass this kind of junk, then I'm probably going to go full boat and just engage in those shenanigans period. And I probably won't be the only one.

You want to lose my business MS? Keep it up.

Agreed! Love the bit about sticking a screwdriver up your nose! Classic ;)

I think one of the main reasons Microsoft's OS's have been such a hit around the world over is because they don't have a centralised store that everything has to come from, I can currently go down to almost any tech store and buy software, if they take the same route as Apple, then I feel they are pretty doomed.

Great another frikkin store. One more place to give your CC info to, one more place to get potentially pwned and my cc info compromised, one more way for M$ to make $$ from apps that aren't theirs. One more reason I switched to linux.

Look at that too, the "games" section $8 for a shitty IOS-like game? are they insane? (at least based off the screenie)

So now you have a potential customer (small company) who wants aan app with Metro interface for a company. You just paid lots of US$ to buy Visual Studio. Then your customer must buy it trough trom you through App store and MS gets 30% unless your customer pays a lot of $$$ as an enterprise customer from Microsoft.". These kind of greedy business practices kill the creativty of entrepreneural developers and freelance developers.

I think this only applies to Metro 'apps' and not full fledged software that you'd run in your regular Windows desktop mode. You'll still be able to buy desktop apps from whoever is selling them the cheapest.

This is the same setup as Windows Phone. You write apps and upload to the marketplace. Everyone can search the apps, download trials then buy the full versions. It means anyone can write a good app for the Windows tablet and there is a good chance people will be able to find it and buy it. It's different and I can see the issues but I also work in an enterprise so we will build our own apps and sideload anyway.

If Microsoft were serious about building up a great set of Metro apps then they should be paying me to develop on their platform, not the other way around! Good luck M$, you're gonna need it :)

Back