Windows 8 Pro OEM will allow for downgrades to Win 7 and Vista

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It has been revealed that Microsoft’s Windows 8 Pro edition will allow customers to downgrade to an older version of Windows if you aren’t entirely happy with the latest iteration. Users can elect to install Windows 7 or Windows Vista in place of the new OS although it’s worth pointing out that you’ll be without a boxed retail version should you go this route.

It seems unlikely that most buyers would want to downgrade but as Engadget points out, there are a few scenarios where having options would be plausible. Manufacturers could include a copy of Windows 7 along with new PC purchases in order to give shoppers more flexibility.

These same companies could also sell new computers with Windows 7 pre-installed in the event that some users wouldn’t be comfortable spending money on a system with an OS they are unfamiliar with. A dual-boot option would be the perfect scenario for PC users to learn Windows 8 at their own pace but it’s unlikely we will see this.

Downgrading to Windows 7 might also be an option in the event you are running mission-critical software that might not yet be fully compatible with Windows 8.

It’s worth pointing out that Windows XP and earlier operating systems aren’t included in the downgrade rights. Furthermore, the service is only offered on OEM copies of Windows 8 Pro – retail versions and other editions of Windows 8 need not apply. Windows 8 will be launching on October 26, 2012.

Permalink to story.

While not addressed in the article, I assume that the OEM W8 version could be reinstalled as W8 in the future when the user decides he is ready to stop using W7. Otherwise why not just buy the OEM windows 7 version?

Wow, the lengths Microsoft is going to keep from putting the start menu back into Windows 8 is amazing. Put the start menu back in and give users the option to boot directly to the desktop and almost no one would care to downgrade.

I guess you have to use Windows 8 precisely the way Microsoft wants, or else they prefer you don't use it at all. Microsoft has become Apple, at the same time Apple has become Microsoft. Leaves my head spinning!

Wow, microsoft cant even stand by their newly revamped OS. that's sure gonna motivate me to drop the hundred some-odd dollars for an operating system I may not even like. it's windows vista all over again! no thank you microsoft. I'll stick to linux and OSX.

I believe this is just a win win for Microsoft. It is their big push to finally find a way for people to stop using Windows XP. Make people think they are sooo willing to be kind enough for you to own Windows 7, yet they are still selling customers a new license either way.

While not addressed in the article, I assume that the OEM W8 version could be reinstalled as W8 in the future when the user decides he is ready to stop using W7. Otherwise why not just buy the OEM windows 7 version?
They will stop selling Win7 OEM versions in the near future usually...

Wow, microsoft cant even stand by their newly revamped OS. that's sure gonna motivate me to drop the hundred some-odd dollars for an operating system I may not even like. it's windows vista all over again! no thank you microsoft. I'll stick to linux and OSX.
It's not the first time they've done this.

Best news from Microsoft ever! since the announcement of windows 8

People are acting as if this is something new. There are lots of much more important reasons for wanting to use older versions of Windows than because you're crying over the new user interface - especially for businesses. If you think this move has anything to do with the Metro/Modern GUI then you're completely ignorant or delusional.

This will make business users happy as they can keep all of their computers running the same version of windows.

People are acting as if this is something new. There are lots of much more important reasons for wanting to use older versions of Windows than because you're crying over the new user interface - especially for businesses. If you think this move has anything to do with the Metro/Modern GUI then you're completely ignorant or delusional.

Really? Because if you get a new PC there's nothing to stop you from using your <b>existing</b> Vista/Windows 7 licenses on it. Which kind of suggests that, yeah, the hateful UI is the main reason. I can't imagine what it must be like worshiping at the alter of "new and shiny" all the time..I bet your knees must ache.

This is a non issue, microsoft. I didnt plan on switching from 7 to 8 anyway after trying out your 8 beta. it sucks.

Best feature in Windows 8 thus far - it can be deleted! I should buy it just for that alone!

I wonder why Microsoft allow this.. Does it mean Win8 has a flaw which we don't know yet? This is why Win8 can downgraded to 7 or Vista

Good because everyone buying new computers will tire of windows 8 quickly and I will be making some $$ installing Good ol' Windows 7 for everyone! I remember back in the Vista days...I called that then like I'm calling Windows 8...The Downgrade or Skip OS! Now I personally can't wait for Windows 9 when all the bugs are worked out...That will be a good OS!

"Really? Because if you get a new PC there's nothing to stop you from using your existing Vista/Windows 7 licenses on it. Which kind of suggests that, yeah, the hateful UI is the main reason. I can't imagine what it must be like worshiping at the alter of "new and shiny" all the time..I bet your knees must ache."

Read this part again:
"Downgrading to Windows 7 might also be an option in the event you are running mission-critical software that might not yet be fully compatible with Windows 8."

This is about OEM. They're allowing companies to downgrade if they need to. The main issue that is known is big corporations and other places like colleges and such is they always worried whether the software they bought and currently are using is compatible with the new OS. It's not mainly about the UI.

Back