Windows Application Error MrxSmb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoning

I have 3 computers connected at home from 1 modem. I noticed a lot lately that when my sister connects to the internet, MY side gets a hit and disconnects often for a few seconds. I looked in my event viewer and am getting this (hope this is the actual problem): "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer (sisters comp) that believes it is the master browser for the domain. The master browser is stopping or an election is being held.

Any help? thanks.

go to start then run type cmd and when the black box opens type ipconfig /all on both computers and post back the details here

When you post back, please include the following:

An Error in the Event Viewer has three pieces of information needed to troubleshoot: the Event ID#, the Source and the Description. You gave the Description. Please reopen the Event Viewer> right click on this Error> Properties> click on the Copy icon below the down arrow on the right> Paste here (Ctrl V). You do not need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, but include all else.
"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer (sisters comp) that believes it is the master browser for the domain. The master browser is stopping or an election is being held."

When you post back, please include the following:

An Error in the Event Viewer has three pieces of information needed to troubleshoot: the Event ID#, the Source and the Description. You gave the Description. Please reopen the Event Viewer> right click on this Error> Properties> click on the Copy icon below the down arrow on the right> Paste here (Ctrl V). You do not need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, but include all else.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003
Date: 7/23/2008
Time: 11:19:18 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MATT-Z2CC3Q717J

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0 ....C..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 54 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 T.......
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

**And to daniel, ill be able to get on her comp here within the next day to give you your info, thanks for the help so far!!

Next time you post an Error Event, give it all together, not in pieces. The information needed was:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event ID: 8003
Description: "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer (sisters comp) that believes it is the master browser for the domain. The master browser is stopping or an election is being held."

As per Microsoft: "This computer is a master browser, and another computer has announced that it is the master browser. There can be only one master browser on a subnet at any given time. This message is logged for informational purposes only".
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/su...rodVer=5.2&EvtID=8003&EvtSrc=MRxSmb&LCID=1033

Informational; meaning it's ok to have multiple systems contending to be the master.

HOWEVER, I get sick of this and have one system which I prefer to BE MASTER,
so I disabled master from the other systems on the lan -- including disabling the wife's Mac.
This keeps me in control and my events log is less cluttered.

Reckoning said:
You mentioned that you disabled your wifes MAC from being the master. Could you tell me how to do that? Thanks for your help
As I was typing that, I just knew this question would come up :)

On OTHER OS systems, Master Browser is controlled in the Samba subsystem.

Specifically, in the samba.conf file, under [global], add or change

local master = no
domain master = no
preferred master = no
This file is found at /etc/samba.conf

On a Mac, use the Applications->Utilities->Terminal tool;
cd /etc
use the editor of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back