Windows booting to black screen

I'm having trouble getting my desktop computer up and running after I gave it to a friend to fix. He reinstalled Windows XP after he told me he found damaged sectors on my old version. He gave me a DVD with Windows XP Home Edition on it. I've tried (to the best of my knowledge) to boot from this disc, but it does not work.

I am not computer savvy...at all. I know I was able to get onto my desktop last night, but my computer will only boot to a black screen today. Last night I was attempting to install my linksys PCI adapter so I would have the Internet, which did not work, though I did not change any computer settings in order to do so.

If you have any ideas, please provide instructions...and dumb them down.

I found this information on another forum, it describes my problems well:

- Computer finished post fine and XP loading screen appears

- After normal time, XP loading screen goes away and goes black screen with a cursor

- Explorer does not run, nor attempt to run

- Cursor can be moved (with PS/2 NOT USB Mouse)

- Ctrl+Alt+Del does not pull up task manager in any mode

- All safe modes show "Safe Mode" in corners

- All safe modes have black screen, mouse that works

^ In other words, safe mode does not work

- Monitor for desktop works fine with laptop

- System restore results in black screen

Basically anything beyond the Windows XP logo and loading does not work.

"damaged sectors" are on the hard drive and they have nothing to do with XP itself. Take the computer back to your friend and have him look at it. It sounds like he forgot to install some drivers and XP Updates. There are tons of Windows XP Updates to install before you install any other programs

Back