Windows CD burning not working

roseypeach

I have been trying to burn a music CD on my bf's laptop but every time I try, Windows sends me to WMP to do so. I only want to burn the mp3's that I've already converted to play in a standard CD player (in his truck)

It goes through the motions, I do everything it asks, it "finishes" and it would appear that the job is done but then Windows continues seeing the disc as blank and it will not play on other devices.

I'm stumped. I"ve checked his default program settings, everything seems to be in order. All I want to do is burn this CD and it work using Windows burning software without having to download and use another program (which I don't even know would work either)

On a side note, what happened to the search tool for TS? I was going to search for others having the same problem but...?

Thanks!

On a side note, what happened to the search tool for TS? I was going to search for others having the same problem but...?
Thanks!
Hover your cursor over the "Forums" tab at the top of the page. The "Search Forums" tab/link will drop down.

Also, which version of Windows is this?

I have been trying to burn a music CD on my bf's laptop but every time I try, Windows sends me to WMP to do so. I only want to burn the mp3's that I've already converted to play in a standard CD player (in his truck)

It goes through the motions, I do everything it asks, it "finishes" and it would appear that the job is done but then Windows continues seeing the disc as blank and it will not play on other devices.

I'm stumped. I"ve checked his default program settings, everything seems to be in order. All I want to do is burn this CD and it work using Windows burning software without having to download and use another program (which I don't even know would work either)

Thanks!

Hi Rosie,

You're right- it should just work. When you say you already converted the MP3's--> into what file format exactly? Where do they exist & how are you pointing WMP to find them? What extension do they have at the end of the song name?

When you say Windows sees a blank- you mean nothing is there, according to Windows, correct? If you hold the CD to light, can you see if any of the area starting from the center to the outer edge is a different colour than the rest (denoting info has burned)? Compare it to a non-burned disc.

Hi Rosie,

You're right- it should just work. When you say you already converted the MP3's--> into what file format exactly? Where do they exist & how are you pointing WMP to find them? What extension do they have at the end of the song name?

When you say Windows sees a blank- you mean nothing is there, according to Windows, correct? If you hold the CD to light, can you see if any of the area starting from the center to the outer edge is a different colour than the rest (denoting info has burned)? Compare it to a non-burned disc.
I converted them to MP3s with Freemake as always. As for the CD, I tried several and they all do the same thing. I don't see any difference and they won't play automatically when I reinsert the CD into the drive, instead autoplay pops up and asks what I want to do with this blank disc. I have those same files in my music folder and they play fine from the hard drive in WMP.

I converted them to MP3s with Freemake as always. As for the CD, I tried several and they all do the same thing. I don't see any difference and they won't play automatically when I reinsert the CD into the drive, instead autoplay pops up and asks what I want to do with this blank disc. I have those same files in my music folder and they play fine from the hard drive in WMP.

Well, obviously nothing is being written to the discs...I know you don't want to use anything else, but in order to verify that the drive itself functions, we need a variable-breaker. Installing Imgburn from ninite.com is a safe way to test another program.

If, however, you wish to troubleshoot the laptop-- then I'd run sfc.exe /scannow from a command prompt & have a check of the system files. Next, at command prompt, run chkdsk /f and make sure there are no disk issues. Then, try WMP once again.

Back