Windows completely freezes, no eventlog information

caelum89

Hi all, I've had this problem for the past week or so.

I don't know what it is, I've cleared all temp files, I've dusted the inside of my computer, I've checked for viruses. I've exhausted every option that I know of that is in my power.

Here are my (very) basic PC stats:

Windows XP - SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.13Ghz
1 Gig RAM

I tried to look at the eventlog, but no errors (or warnings) came up... So I really don't know what to do... So any help would be appreciated, and if I did something wrong please correct me, I'm new to the forum, but I saw that you have this section so I decided to join. Thank you.

Hi I'd like to follow up on this stating that I've fixed the problem, but another problem's been happening.

Now, all of a sudden, the computer restarts by itself, when it did this, I bought new RAM for the PC, and I had thought it fixed the issue, but it seems that that's not the case.

I checked my eventviewer and get these errors:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf845801, parameter3 b4690758, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 00000024, parameter1 001902fe, parameter2 b7cf93f8, parameter3 b7cf90f4, parameter4 f769da71.

can anyone help? I have no idea what any of this means, and any help would be appreciated.

0x8E errors are almost always caused by hardware and are especially a strong indicator of corrupted memory. We suggest running memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

hi, yeah, I ran a memtest and no problems arised, so I downloaded windbg, ran it on the minidump and at the bottom it said:

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+8d435 )

What does this mean? Is there anyway I can fix it? I know that it's an important windows file...

That is a core Windows OS driver. The thing with Windows OS drivers they are usually too general to be of much help. They point to the fact that there is a problem rather than telling us where the problem lies.

Do you have more dumps?

Nah, there aren't anymore dumps, probably due to the fact that the PC died the other day. :/

It was a motherboard problem caused by the overheating before. Unfortunately, I figured this out only when the motherboard started beeping after I tried to fix it.

I don't have the money to replace it, nor do I have the will. I'm going to try and find a job and maybe get a new computer.

Thank you for the help anyways, it really did help out.

Hey, sorry to hear about your motherboard dying. :( If and when you go to choose new parts and you would like some advice when the time comes I suggest posting under our General Hardware forum. A number of regulars give great advice.

Back