Windows Explorer has....(ANGER)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, first time here, and it seems like a really nice site and I plan to help with what I can in the future. However right now I have my own problem which contrary to normal circumstances, I cannot fix. I am at school and wanted to get this thread started, when I get home I'll post the pc info (what’s the best way to do that?) I was hoping maybe someone knows just from my description what is wrong. Ok I turned on the computer after shutting down normally the night before (always normal shutdowns, the computer was fine the night before)

First off the bottom task bar looked different, and so did the start tab. It looked like windows 98 or 2000 (I have XP)

Then I clicked internet to do some browsing, it seemed sluggish, but still fine. Then I went to edit some songs located on my c drive, I clicked my computer...nothing happens. Then I get a pop up that says "windows explorer has encountered an error..." I thought maybe the drive was corrupted or something. I opened word from the start menu and I was able to browse for files in my computer, my documents, c, f, everything. (F drive is my old hard drive, it is the slave to C) Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Some preliminary info.

( NEW DRIVE FROM STORE C: master -- OLD DRIVE FROM OLD PC F: slave)

1. I bought the computer from a computer dealer, it was used and already had
everything installed. AS in I turned it on and was ready to go. It has XP installed on it. I then put in extra ram and my old hard drive (now local disk F) as the slave to my new local disk C. That worked fine for months, ran smooth and great.

2. Auto update from Microsoft seemed to be turned on when the problem occurred, and I made sure that crap was off, I think it may have been in the middle of some update. However I’m unsure why it would be updating.

3. I don't have the OS disk for my new drive (as in the disk that installed the OS on my new hard drive) However XP is also installed on my old drive and I have the disk for that. Should I have removed the OS and just used it for space and old files.

4. Since I have 2 hard drives could I run off my F and use my C as the slave?

I just want it to work; I can run any program in any file as long as I make a shortcut for it through word on the desktop. Windows Explorer just won’t work….thank you.

PS. ALready did spybot updates and scans.

ApeZilla said:
First off the bottom task bar looked different, and so did the start tab. It looked like windows 98 or 2000 (I have XP)
I can only think of two immediate reasons for this:

a) The computer is booting in Safe Mode for some reason (indicated by the low resolution, black screen and the words "safe mode" on the desktop).

b) The Themes service is not running for some reason.

I'm thinking b is the more likely due to the explorer crashes. If something is up with the explorer then the Themes service may not be able to start up. I think you need to start by looking at the event viewer: Go to start -> programs -> administrative tools -> computer management -> event viewer -> and examine the logs for application, system and security. If you see any errors post their contents here.

Two things to try

1.Go to Start/Run/and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK.

That stops Windows trying to show thumbnail views of videos and pics.
A common cause of Explorer crashes.

2.Do a system restore to a day or whatever,before prob started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back