Windows failed to start

NTAPRO

Having trouble booting up my netbook (windows 7) after it froze up and shut down a few days ago. After turning it back on, I got the windows failed to start screen. Starting windows normally took me back to the screen. I tried the startup repair and after the long wait it took to load, it looked like I didn't have a windows partition. I got confused and thought all of my files were gone. I got a win 7 installer disk and used YUMI to use it on usb drive since my netbook can't use CDs. After another long wait of "Setup is Starting" The screen finally came up and asked me where i wanted to install windows. I saw the Recovery Partition as C: and the OS partition as D:. I assumed my files and everything was all there because I saw 18gb/134gb. I clicked a load drivers button to make sure and sure enough I saw all of my folders. I just want to get my files off at least before anything else goes wrong unless windows can be fixed without affecting the files :eek:

What should I do?

Does this netbook have a Ram Drive or a regular laptop drive?

"Recovery Partition as C: and the OS partition as D"

If this is correct your files are on D, but the OS should be on C for Windows 7 and your files

I believe it's a regular laptop drive. I have no idea how it got switched around. Before when I checked the partitions in windows, it was showing that recovery didn't have a drive assigned.

In order for Windows to boot, it must be installed on C... Did you get a malware infection?

I will try re-installing it through USB since it doesn't have a cd drive unfortunately :(

Will re-installing it delete my previous files?

"Will re-installing it delete my previous files?"...

Yes it will, but I think you have no other choice now

I keep getting an error about the partition when I try to reinstall windows. Is there some way I can just wipe the drive and reinstall it? I was planning no installing Ubuntu instead.

"Is there some way I can just wipe the drive and reinstall it?"...

There are "more options" available when you first start the Windows 7 install. When the partitions are shown. Just select "more options" and delete or format the existing partition(s)

Try installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview for test purposes. It is available for free

At the screen that asks where I want to install windows, I believe it's supposed to list the drives and such but nothing is there :/
"No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation"

I'm unable to use any of the options like format, new, delete or extend. They're all greyed out.

Install a working hard drive and make sure the bios is set properly for it and it is detected properly then start the OS install once more

At the very least, you have to be able to detector "see" the hard drive in the bios. The reason you see no drives in the Windows install is because the hard drive is not detected

In the bios it says Fixed HDD: Secondary Master
SATA Operation is set to AHCI

A friend of mine removed the HDD and put it back in. I tried doing the installation again from usb and now it has Disk 0 Unallocated Space at the install screen. The only option that isn't greyed out is new. I clicked that and pressed apply and got "failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space. Error 0x8007045d

When I click on the "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. (Show Details)"

It reads that Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that th disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu

Fixed HDD now reads; TOSHIBA MK1665GSX (S1)

Back