Windows freezes on startup

Hi, this is my first tech forum, and I am new to fixing my pc so please bear with me.
On startup my computer crashes. It's as though its on a timer, so sometimes it lets me login, sometimes it doesn't. Safe mode seems to work fine.

I'm using windows vista the pc is a gateway NV54 series.
So far i've tried anti-viruses and a cleaner and none seemed to do much.
I've considered system restore but I'm not sure if its the right move so i wanna try some other things first.

I get a few errors from the freeze, and I think this is the one that causes it-

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 28/06/2011 5:01:53 PM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Ciros27-PC
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

I'm only 14 so you may need to "translate" a few words for me if you try and explain a solution to this :) There are a couple of other errors but they didn't look like the culprit, but I could be wrong so I could provide them if you want

Cheers,
Ciros

Okay, first if it can load into Safe Mode we are most likely looking at a driver issue.

1. Do you get any Blue Screens?

2. Have you installed any new software recently?

3. When did these issues begin?

Yes, I have gotten blue screens, at one point I couldn't log-on without getting it and restarting (after restarting it worked fine). I got bluescreeens once ages ago and a couple of times a couple of weeks ago, not long before the freezing started

I havent downloaded anything suspicious, only a mod, regular updates and some adobe stuff, so I don't think I've picked up anything

I could get a more accurate date but off the top of my head I think this freezing started last week.

(and yes, I'm using safe-mode and it's working fine)

If you can please do the following...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Sorry, the minidump folder is empty. I ran ccleaner a few days ago and it emptied the file... ><

I ran the computer normally again and it froze again (except for the mouse), in an attempt to see if anything went into the folder... no luck

any suggestions on getting something into the folder? :)

The only way is if it Blue Screens. Open up your side panel to your case and check for dust build-up. Freezing often happens to high system temperatures and dust can be a major culprit.

I got a blue screen just a couple of hours ago, minidump file is attached.

My fan/cooling system comes out from the back of my laptop and it doesnt look like I can get to it unless I dismantle the entire computer, which I've half tried and failed to do. I blew into it and a small amount of dust came out, so its a possibility. But it doesn't seem to be really overheating.

The only thing on the side of my laptop was the disk driver, so my design must be different to what your thinking...

Attachments

• Mini063011-01.dmp
    144.7 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, it would be kind of difficult to open the side panel of a laptop. :D (my bad)

Make sure the vents are clean of dust.

Your error code is 0x8E and though nothing was specifictly cited as the cause these errors are almost always caused by hardware though there are times when faulty drivers can cause them.

Since you can update in Safe Mode then we are leaning towards drivers.

Do the following: Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay

Look for any yellow triangles or red Xs and take note on what they flag.

For some miraculous reason, my computer is now functioning normally :D

It may have been that the vent is slightly cleaner, or something that occured that I was unaware of...

I also got rid of a uniblue registry scam which I got just before the freezing started... I would have blamed it if I didnt believe this was a hardware problem.

Now I've used my computer quite alot today, so I have dozens of errors, many being insignificant/irrelavant (such as improper shutdowns that I made) , totalling around 47 warning and errors.

I could sort out which ones were part of the error but should I bother? incase this error occurs again? This version of windows makes it kinda hard to sort through the errors ><

anyway thanks heaps for all of your help and advice :D:D:D

Back