Windows Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

4iv4n

My desktop was having issues updating to Windows XP Professional SP2. And when it failed and couldn't restore, I couldn't boot up the computer. So I used a Windows XP Professional SP3 CD to repair install. Everything was fixed, except for two things. When I click Start, then to Log Off or Turn Off Computer, the mouse cursor turns into one of those hour glasses and the desktop freezes. That's minor, because all I had to do was create a Shutdown shortcut. But when I tried to uninstall Norton, the computer said Windows Installer may not be installed correctly. So I googled it, and I tried to uninstall/reinstall Windows Installer. When I install, the message Access is Denied appears, and the Uninstaller shows up. How do I install Windows Installer?

What brand of computer is it? I would go to their site and check for patches for the new OS, the not wanting to shutdown leads me to think their is an OS problem for your brand of PC and a patch to fix it.

It doesn't have a brand on the casing, and I got it as a gift, so I'm not sure what brand it is.

It sounds like your xp install got partially corrupted when the update to xp sp2 failed. A repair install isn't full proof and won't solve everything. You might have to reinstall a fresh copy of xp from scratch, be sure to backup before u do this.

Can I somehow get around the access is denied thing and install Windows Installer, because that's all that I really care about...

Yes; the windows installer is on the windows update site. I believe it is part of the genuine advantage set of updates. I do know you can get that at Windows update though.

I downloaded it, but when I try to install it, it says access is denied, so can I get around the access is denied problem and install Windows Installer... or do I have to fresh install? And can I somehow fix the problem by repair installing again?

Are you sure you have adequate memory, and that your video graphics is right for what you want to do?

I'm not a computer person... so what does that mean? And this is also a pretty old computer... so does that have to do with the problem?

1) So is your machine now running SP1? SP2 or SP3??? To check, rt click My Computer->Properties and see what it says under System

2) The only thing 100% for sure about computers is nothing is 100% for sure ;) But, that said, while issues about memory and graphics card might cause installations or your Windows to stop or BSOD. But is not very likely to be the problem behind getting Access Denied error messages

3) I'd recommend you try
>> Running Windows Update again. Be sure to check Custom update. install any hardware optional updates as well as critical updates
>> You need to tell us more about your specific hardware and system. You can do so via automated tool
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

My machine is now running Service Pack 3. I have attached a report to this post.

Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

• Report.txt
    47.3 KB · Views: 6
1) Yep. as you say (and the report confirms) you are currently running SP3
2) Basic question (but double check!) are you certain the Windows logon id you're using when you try running the Installer actually has Admin privileges??? Admin is required and would certainly cause Access denied messages if you don't have Admin rights! (Control Panel->Users Accounts, see if your logon is listed as Computer Administrator
3) AFTER, you verify admin rights, run Windows Update again and again until it finally it says no more updates. Each time, click to run a Custom update. Install every critical and hardware optional updates (software optional are up to you)

Then report back and we'll go the next step (if still need be)

There aren't any updates... I tried to reinstall Windows Installer because it said that it may not have been installed correctly when I first started up the computer after the repair install.
But anyways... thank you for your advice, I'll try it out when I can.

Sorry for the late reply, and yes, my user ID is an Administrator.

So what do I need to do next...

Thank you

u can boot into xp in safe mode and login using the administrator account that is displayed.
then try installing windows installer.
(press F8 when the pc is booting and then select safe mode)

Thanks T77, I haven't tried that method yet, because I'm really busy.

Can anyone else please help me with this?

Hi 4iv4n

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. The report you ran for me in an earlier post didn't reveal any clues.... Which version of Windows Installer are you trying to install btw?
Click here for Windows Installer v3.1
And you can also click here to try v4.5
You can try (in this order) to attempt to install and then, if it still fails, see instructions below to next look at what your Windows Event Logs might be reporting as ERRORS and/or WARNIINGs
1. Try in safe mode as T77 suggested
2. Retry in normal mode

Then to provide a look at recent log entries please click Start->Run, enter cmd to open a command window then copy/paste the following command into the window. Then attach the events.txt file it puts on your Desktop into your next post (use the paper clip icon to attach a file)
Code:
cscript "C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventquery.vbs" /l application /l system /r 35 /v  /fo table /fi "Type eq error OR Type eq warning" > "%userprofile%\desktop\events.txt"

You will probably have to go into the control panel - Add and Remove programs and UNINSTALL all of the updates and re-install them because Installer is an update you get very shortly after SP2 and since you have so many updates installed it probably can't install one that old.
Best of Luck!

Actually, just makes me think of one more thing you should check (in addition to Windows Event Log data) about Windows Installer: Windows Installer is, itself, installed as a Windows service.

>> So, Let's check if Windows Installer is already defined as a service (or not) and what properties it is assigned! (do this in addition to checking/supplying info from Windows Event log)

1) Download Serviwin (very handy tool for viewing and managing Windows Services and Drivers)

2) Run it and click View->Services
3) Scroll down to look for Windows Installer (it's a row where column Name=MSIServer and Display Name=Windows Installer)
4) Does it exist? Simply select the row, click Ctrl-C to copy it, then Ctrl-V to paste into and include it in next post

We have seen this issue many times.
We have resolved this problem by undeleting Internet Explorer 8.0 and 7.0, and returning to 6.11, then defragmenting, then removing the other updates that Windows gives you permission to remove... then defragment once more, then reboot and reinstall.

Strange, but it worked easily once we got the hang of it...

Then run your updates normally... including installer.

Thank you for everybody's responses...

I'll try all the methods listed...

Once again, thank you

MSIServer Windows Installer Stopped Manual Normal RpcSs Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows Installer (*.msi) package. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. C:\Windows\system32\Msiexec.exe 6/9/2009 11:15:38 PM

That's what I copied and pasted from ServiWin. I haven't done anything because of summer school...
Also...when I looked through the directory: C:\Windows\system32\, I could not find Msiexec.exe... so does that affect the setup process?

msiexec.exe should most definitely exist. [post=772910]Click see post[/post] about how to
1) Double check if it's there and determine its version if its found
2) Use the download links provided to download MS Installer and either reinstall v3.1 or try installing the newer v4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back