Windows links not working

Doctor Gallop

Hello Everybody,
I am running Windows XP and recently I have noticed if I am running a program and click on something like: "check for updates" the link does not work.
I also have an email notifier and when you right click on the icon in the tray a window always pops up and says: View your mail"? Normally when I then click on it, it would take me right to my mail....now that link does not work either.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Thank you.

Without more information, (that is a hint!) my initial guess is link-hijacking.
The issue you are reporting may be malware related.
For Malware help at TechSpot please navigate to this Malware subforum... https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html
Please read the four stickies by Julio and Bobbye, found at the top...
Then, please follow carefully the eight steps found here... https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Before attaching your new logs to a new thread in that subforum.
Good Luck.
If it turns out not to be malware, then we can look at other options.

Hi BOOkWyrm,
I followed your advice and ran a full scan of Avast AntiVirus, Malwarebytes, and Super AntiSpyware........no infections could be found!

Re-reading your initial description...
and assuming that you are able to connect to the internet with your preferred browser and email client.

Were you able to update your AVAST, (or the others, for that matter)?

Is it possible your firewall is working too aggressively, blocking even these specific "good" activities?
This is what I would check next.
If you do not know how... and since firewalls have varying user interfaces...
you might be best off seeking help for this in the forums of the company that created your firewall. I have found the Online Armor forums to be very helpful.
What firewall are you running?

Hello BOOkWyrm

I am using the Avast Free Edition AntiVirus and so it comes with no firewall so that leaves me thinking I'm using Microsoft.
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not very computer savy.
I guess my next question would be.....whay all of a sudden? everything was working fine until a week ago.
Would it be a bad idea if I shut down the firewall and see if it makes a difference?

Well, not using a third party firewall throws that idea out the window.
(Unless Win7 - in which case we may need to call in one of the others to guide you).

What version of windows are you running?
If Win7, your native firewall is pretty good.

Otherwise, the windows firewall is (barely) better than nothing,
so please do not disable it, until / unless you decide to install a "third party" firewall.
Comodo, Online Armor, and Kerio (by Sunbelt) are the three that we tend to recommend most here on Techspot.
They are all great firewalls, and they are free.

With each, I believe, you can pay for a version with more bells and whistles,
but I have not seen the need for the "enhanced" versions.
The primary thing you are doing (as I see it) in going for a paid version is that
you are helping to support those coders who are working to keep us safe(r) on the WWW.

Though, if you are running Win7 you probably do not need one of them (free or paid).

So... if your firewall is not blocking these programs from proper function, then something else is.
(Or perhaps a system service has become disabled?)
(I will explore this idea further, while you are preparing your response to my note).

You said the problem begain about a week ago.
What else changed about the same time?
Did you install any software? any hardware?
Are you the sole user of this system? Who else may have made changes?
You may not engage in unsafe web-surfing, but perhaps someone else is less discerning?

Please tell me more about your sysem hardware and running programs (those that are configured to start at boot).

Also, at this point, I have still not ruled out the malware possibility.
You did make a good beginning,
but it would take one of our malware experts to help with a better assessment of your system's "health".

Another Question:
What is your email client? Is this program the same as your system tray utility "email notifier"?

Good news and bad news

LOL. Well, BOOkWyrm, I have good new and bad news about the problem I was having.
First off, I want to thank you for all your advice, it was very much appreciated.
Now the good news....I was messing arounf inside IE and other places trying to find the problem on my own.....I am very happy to say the problem of the dead links has been fixed!
But the bad news is that.....I don't remember how I fixed it!!!
I wish I knew what I did so I could post it and perhaps help someone else with the same problem!
Isnt there an old saying about how the mind is the first thing to go? lol.

PC Healh Advisor

Hello Everybody,
I am running Windows XP and recently I have noticed if I am running a program and click on something like: "check for updates" the link does not work.
I also have an email notifier and when you right click on the icon in the tray a window always pops up and says: View your mail"? Normally when I then click on it, it would take me right to my mail....now that link does not work either.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Thank you.
I have the same problem like this before. The application gives you false alert of virus and force the user to install a application. It is a malicious software which infects your computer. It is basically a malware program. Never accept removal of virus offered by any online scanning solutions. Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. In the windows choose a old point and restore your computer. You can also download a third party tool which will remove the application from your system. pc health advisor can help you a for this

Back