Windows "Power" service keeps cpu usage in 100% at all times. Why?

Joaquim

Hello everyone.

So I had this problem for a while until today I finally found what was wrong, but can't understand why or how to properly solve it.
My CPU (which is an i5-7500) was, according to Task Manager, at 100% usage at all times, even when just booting and running no programs.
1.png
I investigated in the Process Explorer and to my surprise I found nothing, not least because there was no process running that took so much processing. My initial guess was that it was malware, but patiently, I didn't find any viruses either. In Afterburner, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and any monitor of CPU usage levels, the percentage of CPU usage was always shown at normal levels (1~10% when Idle, doing random background tasks), but in Task Explorer, always 100%.
After a clean install of Windows, the problem continued, irritatingly. So, it seemed to me that there were only two options left, hardware malfunction or some operating system bug.

Turning on the pc in safe mode, however, fixed the program, as you can see in the following print.
safe boot 1.png

So it must be associated with some communication failure between hardware and software, that is, some Windows service. So, in msconfig, I activated and deactivated each of the services in search of the cause, until I found that it was the "Power" service. Disabling it fixes the problem, Task Explorer shows the normal usage of the cpu.

The "Power" process is associated with power management profiles when plugged in or when on a battery, which would make sense in a notebook, however, my computer is a desktop. So I disabled it and since then I have been using the computer normally.

Although annoying, despite 100% in the Task Manager I was not able to notice any problem in the operation of the computer in general, any kind of decrease in processing capacity or crashes or freezes.

So, my questions are: Why did this problem occur? What other problems can result from the fact that I disable the "Power" service? Why does a desktop need a service that I believe is intended for laptops, that is, Windows cannot identify whether it is on a desktop or on a notebook? Or is it, in fact, a hardware problem? How should I proceed?

Thank you very much for reading. It is a problem that has annoyed me for a long time. I would appreciate your feedback. .

Is this a fresh build? A system can be quite busy on a fresh build and you would just have to have a lot of patience to allow it to complete what it needs to do. Typically it will use 100% of the CPU and backoff a little when you need to do things.

When I first fresh build a system I will usually allow it to just chill (not do any work with it) and allow it suck down all the Microsoft updates (if the CPU and HDD are busy). If Microsoft updates is not running then I will disconnect and do all the updates manually starting with chipset, video, audio and LAN. Then I go back to Windows updates until I have all of them and the latest version of Windows (2004 or better) and then I start to fool around with sleep settings and screensaver not coming on etc...I think you should find that the CPU will settle down eventually. It is not a new CPU now that you have so it takes a little longer to get things done. =)

Back