Windows says that my HDD is going to fail

abraarsameer

I have a PC with Gigabyte G41m-Combo and a SAMSUNG 320 GB HDD. The PC previously had a problem, it ran startup repair every time during boot. So I extended the partition of C: drive and reinstalled Windows (win7 ultimate 64 bit). The issue was fixed for a few days but I soon got that problem back. Then windows started to show an error that the HDD is failing, and I should backup everything. I thought that it was a software issue, so I reinstalled windows and during the setup it also gave me a warning that my HDD if going to fail soon.

So what is the problem with the HDD? Is it a logical error that can be fixed by full formatting the drive and repartitioning or is it physical error which cannot be fixed? If it can be fixed then how?

I'd stop using it until you have bought the replacement drive and then see if you can clone everything over without all the work of reinstalling Windows. If you can afford it upgrade to an SSD hard drive for faster performance.

Windows is reading the S.M.A.R.T. data in the hd and trying to protect you. Normally, we get an immediate backup of our system at this point, but as you've already attempted multiple reinstalls, just get a fresh HD and go for it.

Don't forget to document your product key on this system for registration of the new install

I think you simply need to replace your failing hard drive.
I know I can replace the HDD, but I have asked the question to know if the HDD is really failing or it is just a logical error that can be fixed by a full format and repartitioning.

The media is failing and will continue to do so - - ergo, REPLACE.

This is exactly why everything important should already be backed up elsewhere as a matter of routine. If you are now in the position of needing to back things up sod's law is likely to teach you the error of your ways.

Who knows, but certainly anything with moving parts will wear out. No way are you going to be able to fix a failing hard drive. I replaced the hard drive in my XP desktop before there were any issues because it had had a long run. By replacing it early I retained the working drive as backup and the new drive that I cloned the old one too has far more capacity. They are not expensive to replace unless you want SSD.

For me it seems like a logical error, you can try your luck by deleting all your partitions, reformat the drive and then further recreate it. On majority of the cases, if there is any physical error, hard drive stops working at that movement only, without showing any error messages.

Note :- Please take backup, before doing any activity.

If the information is coming from the onboard S.M.A.R.T firmware, then it is physical degradation, not software misuse.

Back