Windows Server 2008 R2 Application Server

ComputerGuy55

Hello,

I am not sure if this is even in the right section but I did not see a section for server questions (Strange, there should be one added)

However, if there is anyone with Windows Server knowledge your help will be greatly appreciated..

So, my problem is I am a student in a computer course and I've never worked with servers really before, and were installing application servers..

I do not really understand how these application servers work and what they do. From the name, and what some have told me it hosts programs for users to run off the server virtually so you can have one installation of say Office 2010 and have 50 users run it with 1 license.

However, it also seems like Terminal Server/services does this job?

Any clarification would help.

As well, if an application server does do what I describe then how do we install programs on it for it to host to users??.. We got Microsoft Office 2010 but it has MSI files, but no EXE to install off of, and I just do not understand how any of this works..

Any help is greatly appreciated, if you need more explanation or do not understand something just reply and I will add what is requested.. Thanks.

You will need a combination of Terminal Services and installing for the Application Server in order to do this. The reason is some applications do not work well when launched simultaneously by multiple users. Also, many application preferences are limited to a user. If you already have the Server license and the TS licenses what you'll need to do is install the application in "Install Mode" which is accessible in the Terminal Server tool. An msi is a MicroSoft Installer and an msp is a MicroSoft Patch.

We have a Terminal Services server made they were just waiting for us. I talked to the teacher about it he explained a little more as well.

So we installed the application on our Application Server like we would on a client machine, running the setup (we got the correct version from the teacher..) Is the "Install Mode" option on the TS ? Or the App Server? Because I could not find it on the App Server and the TS Group is not in class today, we will wait till tomorrow to try and continue. Thanks for the reply.

Back