Windows starts for few seconds then restarts

Hi guys,
I recently bought a new motherboard and new ram and a new CPU all compatible as far as I know. However the hard drive I am using is an old 300gb hard drive. It's transfer cable was a 1.5 gb/ps sata cable. However since the new motherboard only has a 3 gb and 6 gb sata cable, I plugged the 6 gb one into the hard drive. I also tested the 3 gb one and I got the following problem. It would start up and I could get into the bios, but when I want to start windows, it will say "starting windows" for a couple seconds, then restart the computer. Someone told me that if I put a clean version of windows on it that my problem should be fixed. Can anyone verify that please?

Here are my specs:
Asus p8z68 m-pro
Intel i7 3770k
Corsair vengeance 4x4gb ram
Maxtor 300gb hard drive
350 watt power supply

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If the hard drive you are installing . Still has the old Os on it from your other computer. Yes you should put a clean install of your os on it. Due to the fact it will have to many issue with the drivers it needs to run this motherboard. Plus you may want to use the 3gb sata cable. Due to it is the closet to your old one. Hope this helps. If not you may need to replace the hard drive with a newer one more up to date with your board.

SATA 3 (6Gb/s) sockets are backwards compatible so it should not be an issue, and the old 300GB hard drive should get a clean install of Windows 7. If you then install all the motherboard drivers from the motherboard support website and check that the device manager has no yellow exclamation points, you should be okay

Back