Windows stuck in set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeapple

HI,

Haven't been on here on while lads just looking for a bit of help.
Friends pc crashed due to a power cut while he was away power supply failed..anyway long story short he got the pc back up running..this is second hand info so bare with me if its a little vague.
Firstly he was prompted given an error of a missing component or one of the components is not installed...another friends thinks it might of been doing windows updates when the power went and this could be causing the issue?
After a few attempts he was prompted for xp disk...it started installing windows so he panicked and powered it down. Now it is stuck in set-up loop.
I booted of the windows disk into recovery console and there is c:\windows and d:\windows. I reworte the mbr on both paritions to no avail.
Question is. is there a set up file i can delete using recovery console that will cancel the installation?
Any help or tips greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hmmm.. could this be coincidental? or maybe due to a common virus?

Take a look at this thread

Is it the SAME setup loop as i just recently posted? (or is it looping elsewhere?)

Unfortunately, i don't have any answers yet (won't see their computer again till Saturday) but if problem sounds similar let's keep each other informed :)

Why not just let Setup start and at the first opportunity which comes soon, press F3 to exit Setup. There are several points during Setup where you can quit without any changes being made. Even when it is copying files at the very beginning in the process nothing permanent is happening yet. In any case it will abort Setup without making any changes to your system. No need to panic and shut it down. When it gets to the partition and format of the hard drive, that would be the point of no return. Until then, you're home free.

In my case it, i ran setup and went through the steps for an XP repair install
=> It completes the text portion of setup
=> Reboots into the GUI portion of setup (i.e. with graphics and installation progress bars)
=> Then it reboots, Windows Startup appears and it goes to a "Setup is Restarting" message
=> If i pop the CD out, it hangs prompting for it :( otherwise it repeats the GUI portion of setup and back to rebooting and looping again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back