Windows stuck on "Repairing disk errors"

Hello,

my Lenovo laptop running on Windows 8.1 has been stuck on "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

I turned it off normally, then in the morning it was started up, went normally through the password part, then it was supposedly loading too long, so my mom shut it down and restarted it and then the program asked to do a system restore to a previous point in time and now it has been stuck on "Repairing disk errors.." for over 10 hours now.

There is one light on, however, it's not blinking. Should I wait and leave it alone, or what should I do? I can't take it to repair, since I have all my bank stuff and passwords on it. Is there any way I can save the data, if the laptop is broken?:D

First, I would be wondering if the infamous Windows 10 stealth upgrade has struck again. Tell you Mom it probably wasn't her fault.

Do you have separate Windows 8.1 media? Do you have a 'repair disk'? I do hope you have a back up as this may not work out well.

Do not do any kind of format or clean install... if the files on that drive are valuable to you, you may want to consider getting another PC and removing the HDD from your laptop and trying to connect it as a "D:" (slave drive - not for booting up the system) to the second system and then copying files if you can. There is a utility called Recuva which might help but you need a working system (https://www.piriform.com/recuva).

So let me know about your available 'repair' media.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/windows-support# may help. I do not know your model, so you should see if there is anything specific for that. This webpage is about problems with the Operating System - and that is what I would focus on first. Just limit to 'repair' - no clean installs.

Thanks for the reply :)
I have a Lenovo G780 laptop. I turned it off and on again and now it says "Scanning and repairing drive (C: ) :8% complete" and it's stuck on 8%, has been for over half an hour.
I don't have any repair discs, just a OneKeyRecovery, but since I don't have anything backed up, I don't feel like using that :/ I'll leave it overnight, but if that doesn't help, I'm clueless..

Back