Windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to create a recovery cd but when I put the cd in and it starts to boot (start windows) I don't get past this error:

STOP: Ox0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF786B0BF, 0xF7CB7208, 0xF7CB6F08)
pci.sys - Address F786B0BF base at F7864000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

I can't even get to the Welcome to setup page. I did have to go in and made the CD drive read 1st.

Don't know what to do next!

Help!!!

Thanks

P.S.- I have a Dell desktop dXP051 with windows xp SP3 tried the last known configuration and safe mode and wont work on either.

This stop error often occurs if the disc used does not contain the proper service pack files. Follow the instructions below carefully to perform a system restore using Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (MSDaRT). You will need a working computer with a working cd rom and a blank dvd/cd disc.

Download and install the ISO Recorder version for the operating system of the non-working to the working pc.

ISO Recorder Download

Download and install the Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Tool to the working pc from the link below , choosing the Typical installation during setup.

Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset Download

Insert a blank cd into your cd/dvd burner. Browse to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset and right click erd50.iso , then select Copy image to CD . Follow the instructions in the following link to finish creating the bootable cd.

How to use ISO Recorder

Once finished, restart the PC with the cd in the drive and boot to the cd to verify it works properly. If successful go to the non-booting computer.
Boot with the cd and when prompted, connect to the operating system (should show C:\windows).

Once logged on, Click Start > System Tools > System Restore

The System Restore interface should open where you can select to restore the system to an earlier time.

Select the restore point, follow the prompts and restart when prompted, removing the cd upon reboot.

Edit: I would like the link to the recovery console disc which you used.

While the cd was loading it gave me a couple of errors:
1. Factory.exe
Failed to install network adapter - check WINBOM
2. Registry information will not be loaded. Some product features require that a Windows
installation directory be selected to function correctly.

I just ok'd to continue then when I did the Start > System Tools > System Restore
I get the message: ERD System Restore could not locate the target offline OS.

I'm not real computer literate so I didn't want to try anything that would mess it up more!

Thanks!

P.S. I tried to post the link where I got the first recovery cd but I don't have enough posts to post a link! But I got it from:
thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
using imgburn to copy the cd

I am thinking you may have some unrecoverable file or sector issues on the partition of the hard drive.

Please follow the instructions below. If you do not have your windows disc follow the instructions on the link below to create a bootable recovery console disc then return here and continue with these instructions.

http://repairbotsonline.forumotion.com/tools-and-software-section-f13/how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-xp-recovery-console-disc-t109.htm#1260

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. If prompted to press any key to boot from a cd do so;

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console;

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console;

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER;

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r > press enter. (Note there is a space between the letter k and the forward slash). Let the scan run until completion;

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

After the scan completes restart your computer. Atempt to boot to the last known good configuration just to be on the safe side. Post back with the results.

I went to the link and downloaded the CDBurnerXP with no problem. Then I was trying to get to the link to download the xp_rec_con.iso it directs me to mediafire.com. Since the link was also a techspot site I thought I would login on that page to see if it would direct me to the right link but it won't let me. It tells me I am banned from that forum (what?). I also tried to find xp_rec_con.iso elsewhere on this site and can.t.

Any additional way to get to that link?

Thanks
Kris :(

I apologize for that error. This has happened several times today to other users. I will check the settings now. Please try again.

I have contacted the administrator who says the error is now resolved.

Unfortunately I got the same error as the last recovery cd I tried. What can we try next? :)

You definitely have a hardware issue. There is a method to attempt to locate the faulty component. However, if you are not comfortable entering the computer's case take it to a repair shop. If you feel comfortable enough try this.

First, unplug the computer from the wall outlet. Press and hold the power button for approx. 5 seconds. Unplug all devices connected via USB Remove the side panel from the computer case. Remove any components, except the video card, which is connected via PCI, PCI express.. ect.. If you have more than one dvd/cd rom device unplug it as well (you will need to leave one plugged in to run the disc). Unplug all card readers and anything else not necessary to operate the computer. Basically, you should be left only with the m/board, processor, ram, HDD, and graphics and one dvd/cd rom device. Now attempt to boot from the disc. If you receive an error again, follow the safety steps above and unplug the final dvd/cd rom. Attempt to boot windows.

Post your results.

Edit: I am just curious to know what your initial issue was to begin with.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back