Windows Update Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a new problem within the last three days. Windows update had failed on the last two PC's that I"ve setup. One is a Dell Dell system and the other I've reformatted and reloaded Windows on in preparation for redeployment.

On both systems, I've gone to Windows update and downloaded updates. They appear to download OK, but the fail to install. Have looked at logs and tried to get the systems to allow the download again, but they think the updates are still there. At one time we we renamed the folders were the temporary files for the updates reside so they downloaded again, but they failed to install a second time.

This is a strange one because there are no error messages or numbers in the log so don't know where to go for a solution or why. This happened on both PC's after a successful update to Windows XP Service Pack 3. On both PC's I was able to go to the download site and download and install IE 7.0 successfully.

Does any one have any ideas on what might have happened in the last few days with MS to result in this inability to download and install? I've followed the same steps numerous times as late as ten days ago very successfully.

Thanks for your help, Judy

Copy and paste the following to Notepad and save as UpdaterFix.bat then double click it:

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Please advise of your progress.

Update Failure - It worked

Just a quick note to let you know your little bat file worked. And I am very Happy! Can you tell me a bit of the history or the reasoning behind what may have happened and what those files actually do and where they came from. Just my curiousity arrising. Thanks ever so much, Jud

Update Failures, It Worked, Reply

I thought I was good at Googling, but didn't find that solution. It is so weird because I've install SP 3 many times prior to these last two that didn't work.
Thanks again, Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back