Windows Updates Fail To Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

craZy18gurl

As the title says, my update are not being installed for some reason. I tried multiple times. I even tried doing in it from the Windows Update site, didn't work either.

As a note, I recently had my windows reinstalled.

Any ideas of what the problem could be?

There are a couple of possibilities, but lets start with BITS.
It is possible that BITS(Background Intelligence Transfer service) is not running. Check to see if it is running. If it has stopped running then restart in the following manner.
Start > control panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative tools > services. When the services window opens Look to see i f BITS Is running. If not click "restart the service".

If this doesn't work post a reply and lets try another solution.

Try restarting it with the following commands:
Run commands in cmd. ctrl+r > type cmd >click OK > enter the commands below at prompt window.
net stop BITS
net start BITS

I f that doesn't work, then try deleting the Downloader folder. Do this in the following manner browse to the network folder : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network.

Do not delete the network folder
The Downloader folder is what we want. Within the downloader folder are two files that BITS uses qmgr0.dat and qmgr1.dat, we want to see if BITS wil recreate these files.
If you are able to delete the downloader folder that means BITS wasn't functioning properly. The folder should be automatically recreated, and your updates should install. If BITS is running properly then you should receive this error message (see attachment).

If by any chance after you've deleted the downloader folder, and it Isn't recreated you can simply restore it from the recycle bin.
let me know how this turns out.

Attachments

• BITS Error.JPG
    BITS Error.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 5
Ok I tried the first method, that didn't seem to work.

Tried the second method, when I attempted to delete the Downloader folder, the error message showed up.

Updates still not being installed though.

What now? o.o

(thanks for all your help so far)

1. Click on Start and then click Run,
2. In the open field type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message, click OK.
4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555989

Oh wow, it worked. They've been installed.

Thank you CCT! And thank you for assitance as well tw0rld =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back