Windows Vista freezes 1-5 minutes after logging on

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoeyy

I'm not sure if this is a virus or not. I log on and no matter what I do, opening loads of programs or nothing at all, it will just freeze up and I can do nothing but hardboot it.

My system spec; (Desktop)

OS; Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
Processor; Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.16GHz
Memory (RAM); 4.00 GB
Memory (Harddrive): 2 x 500GB Serial ATA harddrives
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 9600 PCI Express

I'm currently on my laptop which is 32bit vista home premium. Which is where i'll keep checking back to this topic. I can run my desktop in Safe Mode with Networking. But can barely do anything on the desktop because of being in safe mode. When booting in normal mode, there are no icons or processes that I don't recognise, I check everytime I log in and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Windows offers me no explanation as to why it freezes, everything seems perfectly normal then it just freezes up. You can see exactly what you were doing, you can see the mouse cursor, but it doesn't move when you move the mouse, the keyboard doesn't do anything. Quite literally all I can do is turn the computer off using the switch on the back, hold down the power button or pull the power cable out. There's nothing else it will respond to.

Can anyone offer any help on this please? Would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Since it is running well in safe mode then more than likely you have no problems with heat, although I would recommend running speedfan to check your temps to make sure. If you can get into safemode you need to try to do a full virus/malware sweep. I use Avira, Antimalwarebytes Antimalware, and Superantispyware. However before you do that I would try opening a command prompt as an administrator and running sfc /scannow to make sure that all system files are in order.

I've done that, I use AVG , Antimalwarebytes Antimalware, and Superantispyware, all of them found nothing and still it freezes. :/ Running the system check now.

Edit: Just finished; "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

First, in my own opion, ditch the AVG and move to Avira, it works much better in what I have tested in the field. What values is speedfan giving you?

When I try to run Speedfan it doesn't even load and comes up with not responding with this popup

"Runtime error 217 at 004DB2F4"

:/

I managed to get it run in normal mode long enough to open SpeedFan, it doesn't work in safe mode apparently.

Here's my printscreen;

2vv9wgh.jpg

Any comments/help on this please?

Couple of other things to try tonight, post back tommorrow. After you get speedfan up and running in safe mode download and run Prime95 and make sure your temps are not getting above 65C (this isn't the exact range for your equipment but you don't want to go too far above that). And look in the event viewer (google it if you are not sure how to) for anything that is a serious error. Also look for minidump files that have been created in the past week and post them online. Again google any of these terms if you are not sure.

First of all, our internet failed and wouldn't connect, been very annoying!

Reply; I tried all of that, speed fan is showing pretty much the same values. I downloaded prime95 and it shows all the values are okay. I can't see any immediate errors in there, come to mention I don't really see any threats. No minidump files are in the folder. And I can't find any anywhere else.

Try checking the integrity / errors of your system registry by using utils e.g. RegCleaner; as you said there is nothing in the system's logs, perhaps then there may be something with some 'rogue' registry entry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back